Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, never posted in this section before but I figured if anybody would know it would be you guys. I have been researching turbo installation for my Z1000. And im noticing that the air cleaner for it sticks fairly far out for someone who likes to still take corners. So if anybody has had any experience with this or can give advise, that would be great.
Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Have you considered a relocation the air filter? Maybe some ducting from the compressor inlet to up around the tank area. Do you have a link to a specific system your planning to use?

I've also seen several system with a mushroom style filter so you don't have the cone sticking way out. Just some thoughts...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had thought about mushroom filters but would still wonder if it would drag. You are right about the ducting I never thought of that. And no there is no kit that is "from the factory" for a Z1000. Anybody who has one now had to build it from scratch, and I am going to have to do the same. I still have a lot of time and reading to do before I even turn a wrench or buy a part. That why I am asking questions now, and talking with people who have done it. After everything is said and done, I was only looking for about a 25% hp gain. Which if I did the math right means I need about 3.5 psi (@ sea level)to get that. correct me if I am wrong because I am still learning and there is a ton of information to take in.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kirk...that setup is INSANE. there is some real work into that, my real challenge is not making the bike look goofy afterwords. Being naked I dont have fairings to hide all the plumbing. Still that is an awesome idea and a great setup. Both you guys have been helpful, keep em coming.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
I had thought about mushroom filters but would still wonder if it would drag. You are right about the ducting I never thought of that. And no there is no kit that is "from the factory" for a Z1000. Anybody who has one now had to build it from scratch, and I am going to have to do the same. I still have a lot of time and reading to do before I even turn a wrench or buy a part. That why I am asking questions now, and talking with people who have done it. After everything is said and done, I was only looking for about a 25% hp gain. Which if I did the math right means I need about 3.5 psi (@ sea level)to get that. correct me if I am wrong because I am still learning and there is a ton of information to take in.
Power output is a function of volumetric efficiency, flow rate, absolute charge temp, and pressure(more correctly charge density). Simply upping the charge pressure by 25% atmospheric pressure isn't going to give you an accurate projection of what your bike is going to make to the wheel.

The flow characteristics of the intake tract, head, valves, ports, turbine housing, ect. are going to directly affect the total flow rate under boost. Example: a restrictive head with 32mm ports making (say) 100bhp might require 7lbs of boost to realize 25bhp at the wheel, while an engine with a higher V.E. head might only need 4lbs of boost to realize a 25% power increase.

There is a lot of math involved in calculating V.E. and the amount of boost needed to reach a specific power goal. Keep in mind there are thermal and friction losses in the system too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Power output is a function of volumetric efficiency, flow rate, absolute charge temp, and pressure(more correctly charge density). Simply upping the charge pressure by 25% atmospheric pressure isn't going to give you an accurate projection of what your bike is going to make to the wheel.

The flow characteristics of the intake tract, head, valves, ports, turbine housing, ect. are going to directly affect the total flow rate under boost. Example: a restrictive head with 32mm ports making (say) 100bhp might require 7lbs of boost to realize 25bhp at the wheel, while an engine with a higher V.E. head might only need 4lbs of boost to realize a 25% power increase.

There is a lot of math involved in calculating V.E. and the amount of boost needed to reach a specific power goal. Keep in mind there are thermal and friction losses in the system too.
point taken, like i said though, im still learning. im almost thinking i might be better off with some brake upgrades first.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
well. theres plenty of good turbo sites and info here.. TG, kirk, punk and i all have turbo experience, so you're in the right place..;)

a good site to learn a rack of shit is garrett's website.

here.. start with this, and work your way thru!! http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/tech_center.html

its not the holy grail of turbo shit, but anything you may not quite understand will probably be answeredm and alot of things you may not have considered (like VE, pressure ratios, wheel trim and hotside A/R) will be covered as well.

what turbo you going with?

good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I havent actually picked a turbo yet. All I know is that it doesnt have to support past 200hp. Which is plenty for me. If i get the bike up to 175 or so I would be happy. But all that may change as I actually start to buy parts. There are other parts that need to be preped first before I do this. Brakes being a big one lol. But suspension and fuel delivery are on my list too. In the end I want a turn key system with decent power gains and longevity.

·
Registered
114 Posts
build up your weak points first. i know its hard to spend money on brakes and suspension when you have the money for a turbo kit, but all that power is going to be useless if you cant put it to the ground and stop it. i've had first hand experience with building a motor for a car and then blow the rear end and trans. so now i know to start with the weakest link and go from their. good luck with it all and keep us posted.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah that s pretty much a reinforcement of what i said. glad you agree

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How did you guys beef up your full delivery for your turbos?

·
Banned
1,505 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im not sure how I would beef up my transmission and all its components to take such a power hike. If you guys dont mind me asking, how much did your setups cost?

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
I got my turbo for free so the rest of the build was under a grand.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Im not sure how I would beef up my transmission and all its components to take such a power hike. If you guys dont mind me asking, how much did your setups cost?
The stock transmission components have been proven to over a 190hp. Your going to be requiring beefier connecting rods before transmission components so save your money:)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts