Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen those "black boxes" turnsignal integrators to turn your rear brake lights into your turn signals, does anybody have one and what do you think of them? How do they hook up? Does it involve cutting and splicing wires or do the just plug into the existing rear turnsignal wires when the signals are removed?

Life is short, but sweet for certain...

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have one, it came with my undertail. Only difference noted was the flash/signal is faster than stock. I've seen this on all integrated ones. Yes you will splice wiring together. If you just want to get the part I think you should look for trailor/wiring kit. Same thing except it shouldn't cost you the 20-$30 at bike site. Search around on this board and R6 Messagenet for more info.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I did it and love it. It got rid of the ugly turn signals and makes the rear of the bike look nice and clean. Install was not bad. If you need instructions let me know Ill let you know what colors are + or -. There is a lot of info on the web about the install.

Hell was full...so I came back
Friends don't let friends drive Hondas

·
Registered
130 Posts
I install many of them, but I’ve got to say it's one on the dumbest ideas to come along in years. I also hate those nasty looking turn signals, buy I hate wheel chairs even more. Having your turn signals located in the same light fixture and only a few inches from each other is the height of 'stupid'. Sometimes we are so anxious to 'customize' our beloved machines that we fail to use our God given intelligence. Usually we stand a couple of feet behind our bike and admire the cleaner look, but we fail to consider what the driver is going to see and be able to decipher while driving 50 feet or more behind you while talking on the phone and eating ham and eggs for breakfast. Once he or she makes the wrong call it may be too late to correct and you may be completely unaware that you are about to bite the dust. I just repaired a ZX-9 with this 'cute' little modification. He was rear-ended big time and his header wound up pointing straight up along side the gas tank. As motorcyclists we have enough safety problems without going out of our way to make things even worse.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I don't know. I guess I rode a motorcycle for ten years before I ever saw a turn signal on one and I think that was some sort of scooter. I never assume a car sees me. I don't think integrated turn signals are a big factor in motorcycle accidents one way or the other.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A lot depends on where you ride. In Kansas or Oklahoma, it probably doesn't make much difference, but here in Atlanta Georgia, or in any high volume traffic situation, it is extremely important. Of course many drivers these days don't see any reason to use their turn signals anyway. They are only interested in where they are headed and couldn't care less about anyone else. The terrible thing about being hit from the rear is that you're not likely to see it coming and even if you did, you probably couldn't do anything about it anyway, and that’s why its so important to clearly indicate any turns. When I'm going to make a turn, I want the idiot behind me to understand what I'm going to do, otherwise he may just fly around me a wipe me out as I proceed with my turn. There is just no good reason to 'hide' my intentions or make them so indiscernible that no one can hazard a guess. If you were to indicate a left turn by hand, for example, you extend you arm and hand to the left. The guy who came up with the Integrator would probably just point with his little finger while still holding on to the handlebar. Have you ever seen a policeman directing traffic using only his fingers with his arms folded? Sounds silly, but so is the integrator.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i agree keep your signals on the bike... the more the better in my opinion another reason i didnt' get flush mounts... cars can't see them in the day.

any little bit for me..... i have the turn signal intergrator but i kept my turn signals...

to get over someone .....get under someone!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys. I'd rather be safer and have my turn signals on the back, than get my ass creamed by a car behind me.

Life is short, but sweet for certain...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I did the trailer wiring harness as well 10.99 at pep boyz. But like Dave L. says, safety is a big risk to take for looking a little cooler. I put smaller stalks on, tucked up higher, and use the blinkers and the integrator so that 2 lights blink per side. When you hit the brakes, it makes a crazy intermittent flashing that I don't mind at all.
Made a little video of the end result:
http://www.petrongelli.com/motorbikin/rx7rr4/integrator/integrator.mpg

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
The guy I bought my zx6r from shaved off the rear turn signals, drilled holes in the rear brake light housing, and kind of dangled half ass lightbulbs inside that were used as turn signals. Dumbest thing I ever saw. At first I though it looked cool, but after riding this year for a few weeks and almost getting rear ended by other BIKERS, (Dude, why didn't you signal for that turn you just made, I almost hit you), I decided that if other bikers, riding ten feet away couldn't see 'em, they should go. Now I have flushmounts that I mounted just under the NINJA sticker on both sides of the ass end. You can see them way better than it sounds, plus it only cost me $20. I'd post pictures of it if I had the patience or mental capacity, but I'll leave that for another day.

-Nothing worthwhile is easy[}:)]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.