Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need some advice. When I bought my used 250R, it came with a Two Brothers slip-on exhaust (stock was sold, apparently). I love the look and sound of it, with one exception -- it is so freakin loud. My commute to work is 20 miles, with a mix of interstate, primary, and residential roads...and I can't help but wonder how my neighbors feel about me buzzing by at 11:30pm every night.

Anyway, I have been doing some searches and found something called the Two Brothers PowerTip P1X. They claim it lowers dB by -7 - 8. I was hoping to pick one up and install it this weekend, but I had a few questions first.

1. Does this device actually live up to this claim, or is this some snake oil filled voodoo magic that merely changes the tone?

2. What kind of TB slip-on do I have? Is the powertip already present? (Dumb question, but I would be a fool to buy it first and find out later..pics below)

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can tell you from experience, that even with the power tip, it's still too freakin loud. I've been running a Two Brothers slip-on on my Ninja 400 for a season now and I'm switching back to stock. Between the back firing, and constant drone (I have a 50 minute commute), with almost zero performance improvement, I can't get rid of this thing fast enough!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, well good to know. Looks like I'll be the community a-hole for a while. Perhaps I will take the money I would have spent on the power tip and allocate towards gifts to my neighbors...a sort of peace offering. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
well thanks for this post, i wanted a new exhaust (previous owner dropped the bike and scratched it) but i dont want an obnoxiously loud exhaust. what about using the money for another exhaust? a stock one or a quieter aftermarket?

·
What is this place?
18,517 Posts
I have a feeling someone in the 250 section would love to straight swap you a stock exhaust for the TB can. Worth a try maybe?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
You should be wearing earplugs. You won't notice the loudness as much during your commute, and your hearing will be protected (wind noise all the time is not good for your ears). The loudness will be more noticeable by the drivers around you as well, so they will be more likely to hear/see you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have a feeling someone in the 250 section would love to straight swap you a stock exhaust for the TB can. Worth a try maybe?
Haha, oh I'm sure too. :loco:
TB ain't cheap and I'm not THAT desperate...yet

You should be wearing earplugs. You won't notice the loudness as much during your commute, and your hearing will be protected (wind noise all the time is not good for your ears). The loudness will be more noticeable by the drivers around you as well, so they will be more likely to hear/see you.
I do wear earplugs (or noise-sealing ear buds when I play music) every time. The noise doesn't bother me one bit. Actually, it's nice when my wife hears me coming home from two blocks away and has plenty of time to wake up from a dead sleep, walk to the back and open the gate for me. The problem is that I do 50% of my driving late at night, which means I probably piss off a lot of people as I rip through neighborhoods, puking what's got to be somewhere around 90+ dB at 5K rpm in 3rd gear. There is also something to be said about the slightly embarrassing act of taking off from a stoplight in 1st, screaming at 10K, while only going 12mph. You are right, drivers DO seem to notice me because I get a lot of stink-eyed stares. Do a google query on "why people hate motorcycles" and most of the comments will be about noise pollution -- it absolutely drives people nuts. I'm worried that a day will come where someone is going to put oil on the road or do something nefarious to get revenge on me. There is also the added benefit that cops tend to notice me more, and let's be honest - this thing isn't exactly street legal...

If I could simply dampen the noise a bit, I would be completely satisfied. That -8 dB would help a lot. Apparently, I am out of luck. The only other solution to my problem is to swap my fart can for something else, which I may end up doing sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well thanks for this post, i wanted a new exhaust (previous owner dropped the bike and scratched it) but i dont want an obnoxiously loud exhaust. what about using the money for another exhaust? a stock one or a quieter aftermarket?
Yes, I would look at something else if you are set on going aftermarket (perhaps a Yoshi with silencer insert?). Besides, do you REALLY want to pay $450 for a slip-on? Don't get me wrong, the tones are awesome and it is a sweet looking exhaust..but let's remember this is a 250 we are discussing, not some high-performance I4. See if there is a high temp paint that exists for your application or just buy a used OEM exhaust of ebay.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
1,905 Posts
Have you checked to see how much internal packing may have burned out over the years previous to you? Alot of times the packing burns away and the sounds gets progressively louder. TBR and D&D are known for that "feature".

·
Registered
369 Posts
I was able to find a Vance and Hines slip on for my wifes 250 in the paper.A younger guy bought his bike with it installed and his folks would not let him keep it on. I had heard the 2 brothers and I kenw my wife would not be happy with that much noise. This can does sound good and it's not earplug loud. - CS ONE TAPERED BLACK: Vance & Hines: Performance Exhaust Systems
Look around there is always good deals to be found.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks All!

When I had my 250R, I was looking at these: Kawasaki Ninja 250R Slip-On Exhaust - Area P :: No Limits ...{snip}
Looks good! Thank's for this, I will be considering it. Starting next week, my schedule changes to early mornings until late Q1 2014. This will give me some time to save and plan for a future exhaust installation.

..{snip} Alot of times the packing burns away and the sounds gets progressively louder. TBR and D&D are known for that "feature".

News to someone like me. I will do the needful and report back the results. Hopefully if all goes well - it will help others in my situation. Worth a shot..thanks again.

you know, you could also just NOT rev it so high. shift sooner
its nighttime, in a neighborhood, wtf are you in such a big hurry for?
I may have been exaggerating a bit. I promise, I don't drive/act like an ass (hence the reason for this thread). The speed limits are 30/40mph for both neighborhoods where I live. I try to find a gear and rpm that suit the noise levels and tone. Too low, and you get that popping rumble tone which seems much louder than when the engine is at cruising rpm.

...{snip} This can does sound good and it's not earplug loud. - CS ONE TAPERED BLACK: Vance & Hines: Performance Exhaust Systems
Look around there is always good deals to be found.
Nice find! This is another good one! Thanks, now I feel a bit relieved that there are excellent alternatives that real people can recommend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The power tip worked very well on my M-2. From the pictures, it looks like the power tip has already been installed. You may be aware of this already but two brothers make two different power tips (-4 to -5 db) and (-8 to -9 db). Not sure how to tell the difference between the two.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts