Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found out the hard way that USA bikes don't have lambda sensors and UK and European bikes do. After fitting a Two Bros system I had to unplug the lambda sensors, which made the bike stink of unburned fuel and the FI light come up on the dash. The quick solution to this is to buy oxygen sensor eliminators from dynojet, and not bother welding in new oxygen sensor bosses. This will hopefully save someone the hassle that I've had.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I owuld not do that, it wuold be better to have a local muffle shop weld in some O2 bungs and just stick the sensors back in.

One of the nice improvements in bikes is the fact they are finally putting closed loop EFI systems on them, by doing so this allows the bikes ECM to compensate for changes to the bike (ie..exhaust, air filter, and so on...) without having to go right out and buy a PCIII. This make for better power and fuel milage due to the ECM correctly adjusting the fuel curve when needed.

Why spend the money on O2 eliminators when it would be the same roughly to have the bungs welded on and just use the stock O2's?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could do all that, but I have not got the time to be hacking my new exhaust to bits and Two Bros are providing the eliminators. The bike will be set-up on a dyno with a power commander anyway. Apparently the o2 sensors do very little, they are mainly there to get the bikes through the Euro 3 emmissions tests which now analyse exhaust gasses from a cold startup.

·
Registered
90 Posts
"which made the bike stink of unburned fuel "

I think the O2 sensor does do something if this happened with them gone. All thats needed to put the sensor back is to drill a 7/8 to 1" hole close to the stock location, and weld the bung in. Any fab shop with a tig welder can do it. I've got one in my exhaust and by no means was it a "hack". Without the sensor, every time you make a change you'll need a re-map.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't stink of unburned fuel now that the eliminators are fitted, runs better, even at the bottom end unlike what common opinion is, throttle response is also far crisper. Can't fault it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.