Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2010 Kawi 250r

Tonight I took off the stock exhaust/headers and installed a full yoshimura exhaust. Now when I start the bike it has a slight fuel smell if you head is down by the headers and I can smell a slight burning scent(solved I believe? Guess it's normal)... not fuel burning, like plastic or something...just regular burning.

The exhaust isn't touching the fairings, even if it were they have heat padding... So the only thing I can think of the burn smell is maybe an enamel or protection on the exhaust for shipping that's not burning off from heat.

Also there are 2 hoses on the bottom of the bike that are hanging and loose (solved) (not capped or going to anything)... I've never noticed this before but it might be because I haven't been under the bike inspecting before...

The only thing I can think I possibly did wrong in this installation is screwing the header bolts on a little bit more than the recommended 9lbs torque... my torque wrench wasn't clicking and I think I torqued past 9lbs...

Can anyone chime in on their experience with the exhaust install? Thanks everyone!

· Registered
2,378 Posts
The exhaust will smoke and smell for a little bit (normal) leave the hoses alone(normal) not sure why you smell fuel

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So can anyone chime on one the fuel smell? I'm thinking either its running to mean because the jet kits not installed yet, or I tightened the exhaust port gasket too much

[update] warmed the bike up for 10 mins and rode for 10 mins through all RPM ranges, when I got off the bike a bit a whitish grayish smoke was coming from the exhaust, just a little. Normal for a new exhaust as well? I think I'm just over-analyzing everything hah.

After researching and reading all morning, I came up with these conclusions and I hope they are right and can help someone else sometime.

New Exhaust, burning & fuel smell w/ slight smoke

Fuel Smell: The new exhaust is causing the engine to run lean which is creating the fuel smell. This is why they insist you install jet kits with exhausts as well, to balance the A/F correctly.

Burning Smell & Smoke: Common with new exhausts, it's a mixture of the packing foam, and a protective oil coating on the *new* exhaust. Since the engine is running lean, it's also running HOT and causing these oils and dust particals and whatnot to burn off. Recommended time is 50 miles for the burn-off period.

· Registered
2,378 Posts
He learned how to search! Isn't answering you own questions so much more fulfilling?

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah! yay! no not really, because most of the sites I visited weren't about 250's they were Victory bikes so hopefully they remain relevant. It's never a bad thing to start a thread with a question, you never know who it will help next time someone else "searches".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.