Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like some feedback from UK and Aussie 250r owners.

Do FI models have a constant idle, does it vary with temp., what is the idle speed?

Do you notice any performance change based on temp.?

Does your gas cap whistle like a kettle/teapot?

Kkim add some tech. questions, please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think the OZ versions are carbs. It's primarily the Euro markets that get the FI.
Yer kkim your spot on there.

Aus model is carb like the US model, except we get the choice of 2 colours Ebony black and the red. Although I have seen a Green floating around here in Brisbane.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yer kkim your spot on there.

Aus model is carb like the US model, except we get the choice of 2 colours Ebony black and the red. Although I have seen a Green floating around here in Brisbane.
The green one you saw would be the 09's coming out. The red has been dropped in the 09 range and replaced with blue, green and a different syle of black (I havern't seen the black). I would have liked FI, but thems the brakes I guess.

·
Registered
28 Posts
why ask about things you can't get?
The FI could be got. I am not sure if there is a legality involved where ever the person lives. They would have to make an enquiry with one of the Kawa dealers in the said countries that have FI (preferably one with a good exchange rate) and go from there.........or source a wreckers in the countries and try getting what is needed that way.

It's not an impossablity.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Why are you so against carbs?
Hey, cut him some slack! YOU try to get molested by a couple of carburetors at a young age. It'll scar you for life as well!

... I've said too much :p

But to the OP's original question, I doubt that even if people could ship over the parts to convert these over to FI it would be a tough sale. As for now the tuneability of the FI computer isn't there so
A) The FI bikes are less powerful than the carbureted ones
B) No one is making aftermarket parts for the FI set-ups
C) With a bit of love the carburetors on these bikes really start 'performing'

So to most people a bike with an MSRP of $3,500-$4,000 adding a $500-$1,000 fuel injection set-up to lose power, gain a LITTLE fuel economy, and lose your ability to 'spice up' your bike kind of makes FI less desireable :p

... Now if someone wanted to do something crazy like turbo one of these then the fuel injection starts becoming desireable... But turbocharging one of these bikes is foolish in many more reasons ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
srsly why does everyone* think we have FI in Aus... We don't got shit... Half of the aftermarket items can't even be shipped here...

·
Registered
12 Posts
i arranged myself a testdrive on a 09 FI for friday morning
i get the bike for 2 hours so il get anough time to know if its right for me :]
so i can write a lil personal review on the fi version if u want to..

maybe i'l even find the secret legendary 7th gear rofl... :p

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
I'm pretty sure if the US got FI bikes, and there was no aftermarket support, there would still be a few die hards that would be hooking up their laptops to their bikes trying to eek out the last drop of power possible from the stock engine platform, so the performance issues could be dealt with. ;)
THAT'S the problem with no aftermarket support. You can't just plug a laptop into a ECU and reflash the prom. You need software to do that. In Ninjasweed's post he was able to get the diagnostics (what the sensors were reading), but was unable to reflash his fuel maps as there was no software yet available to do so. Bikes aren't standardized like cars so you can't get 'in the ball park' with certain programs that'll encompass all of a certain type of engine either which is a bummer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i called "Metro" the importer of yamaha kawasaki and sym in israel and said i want to get a test drive on a 250r.. half an hour later i got a call from thair main showroom to schedule. they told me to bring my licence and a credit card to leave in the show room for insurance (so il have 2 come back :p )

maybe its because its a small country.. but i think its got to do more with the fact me and my father bought 4 bikes from them in the last 3 years (Yamaha Fazer Fz1S, T-max 500, FZR1000, Sym joyride 125)

i'm getting the bike for a hour and a half and my father for half an hour (he's just doing it to annoy me.. why riding a 250r when a have a brand new 07 fz1s...)

i'l post my opinion on the fi ver on friday
Tom

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've been eating too much carbs and gained too much weight. I'm now on Adkin's all protein diet.
Don't be lazy, just be more active. I'll never give up my rice, pasta, and potatoes. NEVER!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and converting to FI sounds like a car auto/stick conversion. Probably not worth the price.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, I thought the Australian bikes were FI.
I guess it's just the Euro models.
FYI I'm in my mid-forties, the 250s I own are for the wife and kid.
The reason, I ask is that, FI changed a Harley from a temperamental piece of crap to a very well tuned machine.
Given a choice, I'll take FI hands down, even with a small loss of power and a higher cost.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, the comment only applies to the tuning.

Guys, the Carb vs. FI debate played out 20 years ago in racing, 5 Years ago in Harleys.
Any guess which side prevailed?
I suppose there were people 50 years ago, that said drum brakes have more surface area.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hiya Uk owner here to answer.

• Idle speed is exactly the same at what ever engine temp and is at 1300rpm on mine although theres is a little adjuster tucked behind the left hand fairing.
  • The performance engine performance is pretty consant although the gearbox becomes a bit clunky at higher temps.
  • The fuel tank does whistle quite alot.
Also when you start it you have to wait about 5 seconds for the light to go out then you can start it. Also the automatic choke has caught me out a few times. Ease off the throttle and its still at 4-5000 rpm!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi,
Ive got a UK '08 one too. - i think a few differences between the UK and the USA models are :
- We dont get a fuel gauge - we get a temp gauge,
- Fuel injection to pass EU 3 emissions,
- Different exhaust / emissions again,
- Ours is 790mm seat height, yours is 780mm
- we only get 2 colours green & black, you get blue and red too!
- ours get rained on lots - :)

Mine has the tank whistle too - esp when its sunny - took ages to work out where it was coming from as it only happened when i was riding.

Mark.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hiya Uk owner here to answer.
  • Idle speed is exactly the same at what ever engine temp and is at 1300rpm on mine although theres is a little adjuster tucked behind the left hand fairing.
  • The performance engine performance is pretty consant although the gearbox becomes a bit clunky at higher temps.
  • The fuel tank does whistle quite alot.
Also when you start it you have to wait about 5 seconds for the light to go out then you can start it. Also the automatic choke has caught me out a few times. Ease off the throttle and its still at 4-5000 rpm!!!

Many thanks, it sounds like there are a few bugs to work out.
I'm surprised there is an idle adjustment.

Delvey91 and MarkH thanks for your input.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Many thanks, it sounds like there are a few bugs to work out.
I'm surprised there is an idle adjustment.

Delvey91 and MarkH thanks for your input.
As a norwegian with 08 FI 250R, i feel that i have to clear up some of 'Delvey91's statements. Choke is automatic if the engine is cold. It raises the revs about 1k for 1min, to a max of 2300 if idle is correctly ajusted to 1300. Works brilliantly. Idle is also very stable, and a 250r with carbs being unstable at idle, means u got wrong jetting/needle setting. Also u dont have to wait to start the bike. The fuel pump starts running and then shuts off if u dont start the engine. Its diesel engines that u need to wait for, not a fuel injected bike.

Im ordering a yoshimura slipon soon, and the best part about it is the sound, then comes the fact that it is no need for rejetting. No carbs, no problems. FI on a 250 is p*rn!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts