Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot of people talking about this... what is it?
I've already removed the low volume insert kit.
What does it mean to uncork?:confused:

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
You like asking very very general or subjective questions.

If someone has told you to "uncork" your exhaust I'm willing on guessing they're older or got fed that from an older person. Uncorking simply means putting a freer flowing exhaust on. It's not a particular procedure you perform. People are under the general idea that simply putting a "freer flowing" muffler on a motorcycle is going to magically turn your bike into a rocket ship. Fact is the vast majority of factory mufflers are pretty efficient and back-pressure is at a minimum. So you can't "uncorck" a motorcycle like you COULD with cars. Truth is even car exhausts aren't terribly restrictive anymore. That's why I suggest you talked with an older person as the OLD adage was to "uncork" your restrictive-ass exhaust to free up some power.

With motorcycles restrictions aren't a problem any longer with exhausts so people play with header design to get a desired powerband. Mufflers carry little to no effect on bikes anymore... Well getting rid of weight. Factory mufflers are heavy. But not terribly restrictive.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
If you went back twenty years or so, and switched to a two stroke a well tuned exhaust could make a huge difference.

Now a head that you would have spent 120+ hours porting and gasflowing comes stock on the bikes...

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm being made fun of for being wrong... or being congratulated for being right.

You confuse me Hendrix, and I think I like it.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I think he might just be drinking.

also.. I'm REALLY surprised that no one decided to be a smart ass and tell him "Dude, theres a cork in your muffler from the factory to quiet the bike down.. just take the muffler off and cram a stick in there to push it out".

But ya.. uncork just means aftermarket muffler but all it will do is make the bike sound different and wont increase performance. Like said.. we arnt dealing with a chambered muffler and 4 catalytic converts like we where on cars back in the 80's.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm being made fun of for being wrong... or being congratulated for being right.

You confuse me Hendrix, and I think I like it.

I think he might just be drinking.

also.. I'm REALLY surprised that no one decided to be a smart ass and tell him "Dude, theres a cork in your muffler from the factory to quiet the bike down.. just take the muffler off and cram a stick in there to push it out".

But ya.. uncork just means aftermarket muffler but all it will do is make the bike sound different and wont increase performance. Like said.. we arnt dealing with a chambered muffler and 4 catalytic converts like we where on cars back in the 80's.
:Laughing rolling:

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you went back twenty years or so, and switched to a two stroke a well tuned exhaust could make a huge difference.
True, but the "tuning" involved tuning pressure waves and other stuff that I have no hope of understanding, the secret of which was apparently the Eastern Bloc's greatest contribution to automotive engineering.

Far more involved than just gutting a pipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts