Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my pads for the first time on the bike at 8.5k. I bought the bike at 7500 miles on the clock and the previous owner did not change the pads. When I took the pads off the front calipers I noticed the left hand side was much more worn than the right hand side. Just wondering if this is common or if anyone knows how to fix this with out changing the calipers.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I would keep an eye on it. What people say and do are two different things. If it does it again I would rebuild the caliper. You may have pistons on one side not pulling back enough after releasing the brake causing a light drag and premature wear. It happens alot on cars with binding caliper slides or pistons.

·
Registered
626 Posts
that seems like some really fast pad wear if you had to change them that early. you might have a sticking caliper, but cant tell for sure unless you have pics of the pads to share.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swapped the stock pads out at 8.5k for Galfer blacks

Noticed one side was worn more than the other.

Installed new pads noticed a wobble/pulsing when I brake

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like a warped rotor. Possibly caused by sticky pistons. I had a friend with this problem on his RC51. We replaced all the washers and that helped some, but the only thing that really fixed it was replacing the pistons.

Lift up the front end of the bike and spin the wheel. It should spin relatively freely. If it only spins like one or two revolutions, then definitely caliper/piston issue. Although it is easier to tell if you can compare with another same model bike.

He actually noticed because the tire would chirp every time he let the front down from a wheelie.

·
Registered
297 Posts
+1, the pulsation is a warped rotor. I'd lube lube the caliper slides, if you didnt already. And you do mean, both pads on one side were more worn out, correct?

I would also mic both rotors. The rotor with the worn-down pads will likely be thinner...if it's drastically thinner, it's time for a caliper rebuild on that side, along with replacing both rotors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts