Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had an Ivan's jet kit installed and dyno tuned. While I gained 3 hp and 2 ft.lbs, the driveability now sucks. There is a lean spike at 2500 rpm, then it runs rich between 3500-6500 rpm, then it's pretty good all the way up except for another lean spike around 9500 rpm. So basically the bike bogs and has a few flat spots down low, then pulls alright up top. My tuner said if he was to adjust for the lean spike and bog down low, then it would be rich and soggy up top. He said that is all he can do cause of the lack of jets that are included in the Ivan's kit. This sucks, because I thought the bike drove better with the stock jetting. What am I missing here?:(

·
Registered
367 Posts
i have a sneaking suspicion your tuner doesnt know what hes doing...

unless your jetkit is missing a few jets, then it should have more than enough to tune it to perfection...

my factory kit for my 98 came with two jets in every size from 150 to 165, thats a huge scope for tuning

perhaps give ivans a call and ask for advice...

in a properly jetted bike there should never be a trade off for performance.... anybody who says "oh i can fix it down low but it will kill your top end!" is doing it wrong...

i seriously doubt the problem lies in the number of jets supplied with the kit....

mechanics who dont know how to tune carbs really piss me off, cause they still take your money :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So he should be able to tune it to where there isn't a low end trade off for the better upper end?

·
Registered
367 Posts
http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html

i know its factory not ivans but its the same.

if you read the instructions it should have recommended base settings for your setup (ie stock, fullsystem or slipon, stock air filter or K&N/BMC) and you set it all to that... then you use that guide to select the best main jet, then adjust midrange (if it needs it) and then you worry about the bottom end/cruise

ive never played with an ivans kit but ive heard WAY too much good stuff about them for this to be true.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O.k. I just spoke to Ivan and he explained why the guys that dyno tuned my bike did what they did. I know that for one they don't have the needle clips in the recommended position. I am thinking of moving the needle clips, but aren't sure how to do this. I can get the airbox off and know where the needle clips are, but.....is it self explanatary? Is there somewhere that has instructions on how to set the needle clips? Are the mixture screws easy to get to?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dude sorry that I can't help on the mechanical edge, but please post up when you get the kit running right. I switched from Factory to Ivan's and kick myself for not doing it sooner, good luck!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by ninexbetter
Dude sorry that I can't help on the mechanical edge, but please post up when you get the kit running right. I switched from Factory to Ivan's and kick myself for not doing it sooner, good luck!!
I dropped my bike off tonight to have some changes made. Hopefully I can post up a success story soon!:)

·
Registered
367 Posts
once the airbox is off, the needles are pretty easy to get to.... 4 round black plastic covers that you take off and remove the spring and diaphragm, theres a needle inside... just a matter of taking the E-clip off and moving it up or down a notch... the pilot screws are pretty easy too, tho you might have to drill out the plug on them

ninexbetter, what did you find was better about the ivans kit? and whats your setup?

im having trouble with mine, but i dont really think the kit is to blame.... after all, its only really adjustable needles and different sized jets that come in most kits

·
Registered
126 Posts
Something doesn't sound right. You start fine then lean out when you get on the needle then it immediately gets rich. The needle might be too fat or too far down but if you raise it the rich spot at 3500 will get worse. If you are lean at 9500 then the main jet is too lean or needle too low. You should be able to tune for every stage of operation. One or more parts in the kit are not right or the needle is in the wrong position. If you raise the needle your overall jetting will probably get better. A multi tapered needle may be the choice. You may not get perfect jetting but you should be able to get it smooth and no flat spots.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ninexbetter, what did you find was better about the ivans kit? and whats your setup?

Ninety Six, sorry bout messing up the quote box. I have a full akro, stock filter, 15/43 gearing, and 4th degree advancer within the set up. The bike seems to run stonger, more responsive, and smoother than the Factory kit that I was running, however it was still a damn good kit for this bike as it rewarded me with several kills on liters. I paid to have the kit and advancer installed. I also lost 20 pounds,lol :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by ninexbetter

[?], thought that I answered that,if not you will see when you get your bike back.
My bad....it was late and I spaced it![V] I got my bike back today and it runs great!:D It's smooth, and pulls hard! It runs 100,000 times better. After all that I'd heard about Ivan's kit, it finally runs how I expected it to in the first place. I didn't get a chance to talk to the guy who tuned it, so I don't know exactly what he did. I left the instructions with the bike, and was under the assumption that he was going to put it back to Ivan's specs. I'll find out tomorrow and let you guys know what all was done.

·
Registered
367 Posts
good to see the mechanic came good in the end... did he sting you for any more cash to do the job right? [B)]

ninexbetter, are you saying that you had an advancer installed at the same time as the ivans kit? or did you have it with the factory kit before that? that could explain a lot, as advancers really wake these bikes up ;)

and had you explored every jetting combination possible with the factory kit?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It didn't cost anything....retunes are free. He moved the needle clip up one position into the #2 spot as opposed to Ivans recommended #3 spot. The bike runs awesome! It doesn't have the twitchy roll on that it did stock. It is smooth throughout and pulls hard/wheelies great!

·
Registered
507 Posts
glad to hear it turned out for you-- i have the .....dynojet kit and it runs great everywhere except for a minor surging at like 2500- I've played with these carbs for years and just cant clear it so i just stay away from that rev range

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by NinetySix
my next bike is definately gonna be EFI.
+1...as much as I like my ZX-9, I've been thinking about zx-10's and gixxer 1000's lately...:)Especially since I knocked a brand new gixxer 1K over on the showroom floor last weekend!:(

·
Registered
507 Posts
did you feel like the old bull in the china shop???;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.