Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Should I upgrade to the 1000 or the ZX6R?

• 1000 is not the cruiser you fear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1000 is very sporty and you should get it

• ZX6R will be a better upgrade for what you want

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 1000 is the cruiser you fear and the ZX6R won't be enough engine, keep looking

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2019 Ninja 650 and quickly wanted more bike. It has been over a year and I am starting to set my sights on a new one. I want a super sport but I don't want to get a bike that is too powerful for me. I am more interested in being able to handle the bike through turns than flat out speed, so I am between ZX-6R or the 1000. I'm just afraid the 1000 is going to be more of a sporty cruiser. Is the 1000 sporty enough to have fun on or is it the highway bike I fear? Is the ZX-6R enough power, or will I have the need to want more with this bike just like my 650? Thanks for any insight in advance!

·
Registered
48 Posts
"bigger is better" is not necessarily true. Your 650, while higher in displacement than the zx6r, is worlds different in overall top speed and handling. The ZX's are essentially dumbed down race bikes, unlike the Er650. Not even sure why they call this a "ninja". The zx6r is plenty of bike stock and there are loads of upgrades if you still wanted "more bike". Insurance is cheaper than the liter bikes as well. I still have my 2 zx6's one for the track and one for the street and I love 'em.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 600/4 is a completely different animal to your current 650 twin buddy, think your 650 only x2... 😬 (y)

Ps, if you're only used to the 650 then I'd advise several changes of underwear for the thou, that should be enough to get you to the end of your road anyway...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh! I just realized something Deene. You were probably talking about the Ninja 1000 rather than the ZX10 (which also bears the "Ninja" badge). My bad. This is the problem when naming everything "Ninja". Anyway, while less powerful than the ZX10 it is still alot of bike. I also have a Z1000 which is essentially the same bike without the fairings of the Ninja 1000 and different ergonomics and I will attest to it's power. Handles surprisingly well in the corners as well. I guess it all really boils down to is what you want to do with it. If you want to be eventually dragging a knee thru turns then the ZX6R is the way to go. If you want something to cruiz thru the twisty mountains then the Ninja 1000 wouldn't be bad. Either way if you don't let your ambitions outweigh your skill set you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh! I just realized something Deene. You were probably talking about the Ninja 1000 rather than the ZX10 (which also bears the "Ninja" badge). My bad. This is the problem when naming everything "Ninja". Anyway, while less powerful than the ZX10 it is still alot of bike. I also have a Z1000 which is essentially the same bike without the fairings of the Ninja 1000 and different ergonomics and I will attest to it's power. Handles surprisingly well in the corners as well. I guess it all really boils down to is what you want to do with it. If you want to be eventually dragging a knee thru turns then the ZX6R is the way to go. If you want something to cruiz thru the twisty mountains then the Ninja 1000 wouldn't be bad. Either way if you don't let your ambitions outweigh your skill set you'll be fine.
Yes, I was saying the Ninja 1000 rather than the ZX-10R. Sorry for the confusion. Also, thank you for your advice! I have been thinking it over and have decided to go with the ZX-6R. I hope this to be the mediator between the 650 and ZX-10R. I'm thinking I will wait for Oct. - Nov. for the 2021 releases to either get a discount on a new 2020 or if there is something incredible, just buy the 2021. Thank you again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts