Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than getting out a die-grinder and cutting off some material to make way for an inverted shifter knuckle you can get some reverse pattern shifters from Gilles, Sato, and hopefully Arata some time soon.

Chaos, panic, disorder......

my work here is done

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just cut a chunk out of my front sprocket cover and inverted the elbow that connects the lever rod to the gear selector shaft.

CCS AM #317

·
Registered
67 Posts
Why not just remove the front sprocket cover when you race you have on boots and not tennis shoes (hopefully) check out all the pros bikes thats all they did.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would, but I'd rather have something there covering that sprocket up. Plus, I'm not sure if that's legal with some racing organizations.

Chaos, panic, disorder......

my work here is done

·
Registered
9 Posts
Er.. I did it on my 2000 w/o doing anything to the sprocket cover. Just install it at a bit of an angle instead of straight up.. (not ideal though I suppose)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking for a 'upside down gear (selector) assembly' , you know... 1st up, rest down. Does anyone know where I can get hold of one.
Cheers
yeurman

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have never not passed tech because of the front sprocket cover not there it is nice when doing those last practice get it tuned in sprocket changes, but i do not use gp style shift and have tried it but it is just one of those things either you get used to or get rid of or just like it a lot(like women).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can think of two different occasions where friends of mine have had a front sprocket nut come loose and the sprocket cover kept it in place.

CCS AM #317

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by milesmcever

Why not just remove the front sprocket cover when you race you have on boots and not tennis shoes (hopefully) check out all the pros bikes thats all they did.
Why not? If this is a 2003 ZX-6R or ZX-6RR, you need the speedometer pickup in place or the bike will showa DFI error on the dash.

Scott

·
Registered
349 Posts
A little secret I learned yesterday, the shifter from the klx110 can bolt right on to the shaft from the tranny, thereby creating the GP shift pattern. The only drawback is it may be too close to the peg, but you can cut about 1 inch from the middle of the lever and re-weld it. ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by 6Rjunkie

I can think of two different occasions where friends of mine have had a front sprocket nut come loose and the sprocket cover kept it in place.

CCS AM #317

this is why it is a good idea to safety wire things...it will never come loose again!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ya know the little washer that binds over the edge of the counter shaft sprocket if you take off the sprocket it might be a good idea to put it back also not having the front sprocket cover on give lets you check the sprocket nut and lock washer. Ten bucks says that those people that the front sprocket came loose on did bend the washer back over the nut and put the cover on and were not able to check the bike out fully before they rode or raced. We are in the racers corner right? when you race why do you need the pick up in the cover? You put your stock cluster away and use an after market tach because once you kill that stock cluster it will truly suck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found out from racing in the mid atlantic area...racers are using the old ZX-9 shifter arm it is long enough to run GP on the new zx6rr
you dont have to remove the counter sprocket cover either...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.