Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm planning on buying a 2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, red/black, 5k (5600 I think) miles, adult owned and garage kept, dealer serviced with all records. The guy is asking $5500 with a helmet (which is XLarge, probably won't fit me, I'm 5'10" 160lbs, pretty light build) and possibly a few accessories for an otherwise bone stock bike.

I'm pretty set on getting this bike, assuming I can get the money to buy it. I have a few questions though - namely, this is a sweet deal, right? From the research I've been doing over the past 2 months, it seems pretty incredible - hes getting rid of this bike because hes getting married.

More importantly, I have some technical questions about a few things I can't seem to find definite answers on. First of all, was there a 600cc ZX-6R in 2002? Or am I correct in assuming that this bike is a 636 (since its not a 600cc ZX-6RR)?

Also, the bike is not fuel injected - it is carburated, correct? If so, why did Kawi not switch to FI before 2003? Seems like a serious oversight to me (yes, I'm aware they perform the same function, but I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that FI is *inferior* to carbs).

Also, with *no* cycle experience (MSF course comming up this week), what should I check before I buy the bike, aside from the service records? I can check the chain for tightness/looseness, tires for wear, wheels for dings I suppose, but beyond that, I have to take his advice on brakes, plugs, and filters and fluids.

Thanks,
Erik

Also - great website - this is my first post but I've read a lot of topics lately, and this is a great source of information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nevermind, I guess there are both 599cc and a 636cc versions of the 2002 ZX-6R...can anyone confirm that? And is there any way to tell which bike is which, other than the "636" decal on the side of the bike? If that decal is missing, that means the bike has to be a 600, right?

·
Registered
501 Posts
For 2002 you can only get a 600cc in the states. I think Europe and Aussie land have the 2002 636.

"I love your butt, cause it is just the right size to loose my boot all up in it"

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Erik,

First off, welcome aboard.

All the USA 2002 ZX-6R's are 599cc motors. The 636's of the same body style were available only overseas. So unless this guy imported the bike and peeled the stickers, (which I doubt) you're looking at a 599cc.

Makes sure you go over all the service records. Make sure they are all for the same bike, dates make sense, etc.

Also have the guy take you for a ride on the bike.

Also, he seems to be getting rid of it for a legit reason. Many brides-to-be say "no bike" and well, some guys give in.

I'd ask if he stunted at all as wheelies and stuff can cause wear on the sprockets and front fork seals. Also with 5K miles I would bet those are freeway miles, but I'd ask.

When you go to see the bike, tell him you want to see it cold with no prior warm up that day. Then you can tell how it starts up. Also check for fluid leaks.

Take whatever gear the guy is willing to throw in. That just sweetens the deal for you. You can always unload the gear used on eBay.

And yes the 02's are a carb'ed engine, not fuel injected. I had a link for the pros and cons of carbs vs. FI, but I can't find the link right now.

Keep us posted on what you do.

-Flash

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but habit" - Aristotle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, and yeah, it would have to be 599cc, glad to have that cleared up. I tried to find out on my own, but the kawi website only has the stats for the 2003, and a lot of other places I looked (aftermarket exaust, etc) had the 2002 listed as 636 - but then they were mostly foreign, like akrapovic.

I will check the service records (nice that he has them, and it sounds like he really stuck to the dealers recommendations for servicings).

I will def. have him give me a ride, and I'm really doubtful hes ever stunted the bike - sounds like he treated it very well, more like a everyday vehicle to get to work (which is fine, I just mean I doubt hes ever had it to the track (it is 100% stock) and he probably hasn't even dragged anything (not that that is anything worthy of special praise)) - but I will ask.

He was nice enough to offer to come to my house and let me look it over/buy it, since I sold my car and am moving to Tampa in a matter of weeks - so I can't try a cold start - but I'm guessing it will start fine, and I'll ask him about it.

I'll take the helmet and anything else, and use it temporarily, until I can get new stuff that fits.

Kinda bothered that its carb'ed, but hey, nothing is perfect (and carbs are easier to adjust if I get a new exaust system in a few years). My next choices would be either a '01 gixxer600 or a 600F41 =/ I'll take a Kawi over those any day, heh

Erik

Also, thanks for the used cycle guide, very informative

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
There are no big disadvantages to carbs unless you live in an area where you change altitude a lot, like living around mountains.
Carbs are still the smoothest out there, though FI is getting damn close.

Fuel injection is easier to modify, but it's not hard to get the carbs done either.

Good choice on the 6R.

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.