Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I picked up a 1993 ex250 off ebay for cheap, it's got new carbs and a tune up.. Etc etc. and they guy says it runs well. The bike has about 16,000 miles on it..... Now here's the deal. Now that I got my new 06 636 my girl decides she wants to ride with me.. BUT I really don't want to go spend 3k on her a new 250 for her to drop it on day one or decide riding just ain't for her.. So I get this used bike and let her try it out first.. If she likes I'll buy her something nice.. Plus ever since I got my 98 250 in 98 I have been wanting to use the motor/trans out of one and build me a sick ass little go cart.. So I'll let her try it then this 93 will get frankenstine'd into a bad ass gocart and the remaining parts sold on ebay.. What I am looking for is some advice.. with those sort of miles I know I need to check the tires and make sure they are very fresh or replace them, I am also guessing I want to check the front and rear sprocket for wear and the chain.. what other things am I going to want to look at to make the bike very safe for her...

·
Registered
126 Posts
whenever buying a used vehicle you need to assume that zero maintenance has been done to it. start with a tune up, plugs, valve check, air filter ect. then flush the cooling system and change the oil. check your chain tension and the suspension. then i would ride it for like a week before you let her get on it to make sure nothing happens to it. you should also sign your girl up for the MSF course, they will teach her how to ride on their bikes (or your 250 since its small enough) and make sure she uses proper techniques.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
get better tyres for it. even if the tread looks okay, it's been sitting for a while getting crusty. plus those stock tyres are schite.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I assume since it has 16k on the odometer they probably aren't the tires that came on it but I'll check them over very well Hahahaha. What about stuff like the wheel bearings and the bearings where the steering go through the neck of the frame?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
you;d seriously be surprised about those tyres. they NEVER show any wear at all. i've seen 250s with 30k and the original tyres. i can tell you right away what tyres are on there if you want to upload a pic for me to look at. if you're an ama memeber you can get a discount on bikebandit.com- i would reccommend the pirelli sport demons or the bt45s. both should be under $200 shipped.

you shouldn't have any front end issues. 250's are pretty much bulletproof. aside from going over everything you can find with a manual and a torque wrench, i wouldn't worry. i have almost 20k on mine and haven't done anything to the bearings, etc. they're sealed, i believe. check the chain, tho, for sure. mine's about kicked so i would assume yours is too (esp if it's been sitting for a while).

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Marshmallow.. 20k on factory tires????? Damn I wore my rear out on my 250 in about 8k miles..

Serionne.. Most gocarts have a 5-7.5 horse motor with a single speed centrifugal
clutch... I magine a gocart with around 25 horses, and a 6 speed transmission and racing slicks... Need I explain further? if so please see this link.. It will help you understand..

http://www.gixxerkart.com
http://www.ringmini.de/English_Version/GSXR_Kart/gsxr_kart.html

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
i got about 8.5 out of the bt45s and looks like i will end up with about 6 on the pirellis. the factory tyre is like a harley davidson tyre. it's really hard and shows little to no wear. a girlfriend of mine bought a used ex500, it was a 1990, i believe (white) with about 17k on it and (dum dumm dummmm) the stock tyres.

ALL HAIL GIXXERKART! that's one of my faves!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
the stock tires are actually " sport-touring" tires ;):D not really made for gettin low on but then its not like its impossible ive done it on the stock tires before;)

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dunno... like I said I wore the center of my rear down to the indicators in like 7-8k I believe. And I wasn't doing any burnouts nor am I a heavy person.. Maybe its the type of pavement thay use here? All I know is when I get that gocart done it's gonna be a fun little toy. I'm thinking of cutting the vin plate off the 250 frame and welding it into the gocart and adding the headlight, taillight and turn signals and calling it a VERY custom modified 250 and seeing if I can get away with driving it on the street some.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
i bet you can! but be careful, there is a limit on the amount of "custom" motorcycles one can build and register in a lifetime...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.