Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to motorcycles and have few people to bother for a bit if information. I've read a bit online, but opinions are a bit dividend when it comes to second hand motorcycles, so I thought I'd give you all a shot ;).

At the moment, I've just gotten my licence and about to check out a bike with 57k kilometers on the clock. It's from 2016 and used as a learner's bike at a local riding school. If it's well maintenaned I was of a mind to purchase it if it drives well and expect to replace the clutch (plates) in the near future as they've probably been abused by students practising for the special manoeuvres exam.

I was wondering if buying a 2016 Kawasaki with this many kilometers was a good idea as a first motorcycle for about 3000 euros? I've ridden the z650 as a Lessons bike (brand new) and it was stupidly easy to ride and have fun with. This one still looks Great.

I'm now just hoping the miles wouldn't have some unexpected wear or if I should expect some more serious repairs in the near future. So I'd ask of you your honest opinions on risk and some pitfalls when buying a used high mileage bike.

Thanks!

r/motorcycles has referred me to you for a bit more specifics on the reliability of an er6n. Reading through the forum, they should be fine when properly cared for and seeing that they've mostly been used by a driving school maintenance should've been done regularly, right? This is my current thought on the matter. But I'm curious to hear your opinions!

·
Registered
Too many to list
249 Posts
Be sure it's a documented bike , ask for maintenance records , Look carefully to be sure the engine has original bolts / screws in cases , look for gasket sealant ..... Top to bottom tires , spokes , rims , Check everything ...,

·
Registered
441 Posts
I assume you’re looking at this bike as it’s much cheaper to purchase? If you operate under the assumption that a vehicle has been abused and factor that into the budget you’ll be gucci
Allow for pads, clutch fluids, plugs, gaskets, filters and levers etc
The er6 is particularly reliable as are most Jap bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be sure it's a documented bike , ask for maintenance records , Look carefully to be sure the engine has original bolts / screws in cases , look for gasket sealant ..... Top to bottom tires , spokes , rims , Check everything ...,
How would you recognize original screws on the engine? I only know the one about looking at the oil for shiny metal and starting it for coolant leaks. (Aside from checking/listening brakes, leaks in lines, clutch/brake lever tension and hearing if an engine starts quickly from a cold start and keeps running smoothly.)

I wasn't aware that screws could be identifiers unless they are obviously replaced by a wrong
one.

·
Registered
Too many to list
249 Posts
How would you recognize original screws on the engine? I only know the one about looking at the oil for shiny metal and starting it for coolant leaks. (Aside from checking/listening brakes, leaks in lines, clutch/brake lever tension and hearing if an engine starts quickly from a cold start and keeps running smoothly.)

I wasn't aware that screws could be identifiers unless they are obviously replaced by a wrong
one.
That's one way , look for wrench marks ... look at case fitment ..., stripped heads ,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume you’re looking at this bike as it’s much cheaper to purchase? If you operate under the assumption that a vehicle has been abused and factor that into the budget you’ll be gucci
Allow for pads, clutch fluids, plugs, gaskets, filters and levers etc
The er6 is particularly reliable as are most Jap bikes.
Jep, it's ridden just short of 30k miles more then the next similar bike. But it is more recent, and has better protection against fall damage and is just over 2k euros cheaper. And my prospective one is at a reputable local dealership, not private.

It just wasn't my driving school as it's in my college city, not near home. I know my instructor was a bit of a stickler for maintenance, but I guess all schools need to have at least some level of maintenance in the 7 years they're using their bikes.

Knowing myself, rev's up to near the red line for more than 5 seconds without upshifting gets you an earful about focus. Even if you're listening to your instructor ramble about something else important entirely and were the distraction themselves ;).

So a new clutch I'd expect, but I just wasn't sure if with high mileage you needed to take into account something else I'm not aware of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone just bought it. Came in 5 minutes after the store opened... I came in 10 minutes after opening. I was shown the bikes anyway and they looked great. Excellent condition. It didn't hurt at all to know that they wouldn't be for me ;).

Well, better luck next time. lesson learned. No making coffee before hand. Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Your time will come , But , now you know what to look for ....,
It's horrible this search. Just saw a 2020 z650 for 5,5k for 28k kilometers ridden...

It's a different price class, but still. Newer bike. Maybe safe a bit or ransack my savings account for the last 2 k ;)

He also has a 2021 with 4k kilometers for 500 more.... Hmmmm choices.

Haha.
I want to thank you for your responses. Gave me the confidence to at least attempt to buy the bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts