Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, you can use a tooth brush to clean the chain with kerosene or diesel fuel. I just spray the chain lube (PJ1 Black) on my chain sparingly and then wipe off the excess. Use your wife's tooth brush because it will leave a funny taste on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
DON'T USE A TOOTH BRUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont use any brush, by using a brush you force all of the dirt that gets stuck to the chain lube down in to the o-rings. this is very bad dont do it! what you need to do is use a degreaser (you can use gas) spray the whole chain let it sit and spray again if you want you can use a cloth to wipe and then just spray your cain lube on. chain lube is only intended for the rollers. And remember always lube your chain when it is plenty warm right after a ride. and often they say 500 miles. just my imput! WiL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is it safe to use an old toothbrush to clean your chain and / or work the lube into the chain ?
My concern is around damaging to o-ring seals / joint etc.

Thanks for your help

'03 NinjA ZX636 B1H (BlacK)

"People fear what they don't understand, and hate what they can't conquer" - Nas.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't use gasoline on your o-ring chain. The gasoline will swell and damage the o-rings (at least according to the manufacturer).

·
Registered
316 Posts
There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on here. I have seen suggestions from "use a steel wire brush" to using degreasers, and all sorts of stuff on the forum. I would definetly say to not use a steel wire brush for obvious reasons, but past that I am not claiming to know jack sh*t about chain care. I lube mine every 200 miles or so and it never seems to have any signs of dirt or grime on it, so I don't scrub it all the way down. I am not saying that anyone is wrong or right, but the best thing to do is get a hold of a chain manufacturer and ask them what they suggest. Or, if you are buying a chain aftermarket, there should be directions on the box, or should have a website linking you to the company. All of these guys on here make good suggestions, and I don't feel that anyone would give you bad advice on purpose. The best thing to do is find out from a manufacturer, and then post what they say. Sometimes that is the best way. *Not trying to piss in anyones cheerios, just trying to keep the conflict down on the smaller things. (unlike the war topic) :D

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

·
Registered
349 Posts
Go to your local dealer and pick up the "Grunge Brush". $10. It's exactly what you're looking for.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you want to clean your chain on the bike put it on the rear stand and spray it with WD40 and wipe it off with a rag. Be sure to oil the chain afterward with 90 weight gear oil.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Grab some XL1 and throw your bike up on the rear stand. Spray the chain thoroughly as you wheel the rear tire by hand. Give it a few seconds, then spray it down with water. It does a great job of removing all the grime without having to scrub. Then lube it up. Simple.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Originally posted by dj dunzie

Grab some XL1 and throw your bike up on the rear stand. Spray the chain thoroughly as you wheel the rear tire by hand. Give it a few seconds, then spray it down with water. It does a great job of removing all the grime without having to scrub. Then lube it up. Simple.

By the way, I've been running the Gold Motul Lube on the bike recently, and I'm pretty impressed with it. The fling factor with it is excellent, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.