Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to share a story with you guys.

I got my bike today after an oil change. Got out and maybe 50 meters from the garage I notice the oil lamp is still on. Drove very slowly but it was still on, due to the heavy traffic I had to go about 500 meters before I was able to pull out. Stopped at the gas station waited 5 minutes and got the bike centered to see the oil.

I was shocked there was absolutely no oil in the the thing. Complete morons. I go for an oil change not oil drainage.. Good thing the engine didn't seize.

Started walking back to the garage with full gear on. And it's close to 35 degrees C (95F). Got there and asked the if we did forget something. He clicked pretty fast and got quite worried he would be buying me a new bike. Good thing i told him the bike was OK before he got a hart attack.

I hope they haven't forgotten to tighten the bottom oil cap but so fat everything is OK no oil leakage. But I will check before I leave the office. And there better not be or this time I will get really pissed off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was well pissed. Good thing the bike is pretty new with 5000 miles on it and i was riding very slow, suspected there must be something wrong with the engine.

Next time I am changing the oil myself.

·
Registered
452 Posts
yea sometimes people dont understand the ilk of people that they pay $$ to do their maintenance. Many of them are high school drop outs, with little inspiration or motivation. Not to say all are like that, but i have met waay too many, esp at car repair places that dont know a socket wrench from their girlfriends...well.... you know what i mean... [:p]

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Why do we read this at least twice a month? Dealerships/shops leaving the plug out?! I say it everytime, that's why I do all maintenance myself. It actually pisses me off to read how guys on here almost wreck and wad their bikes up because of a stupid mistake like that. Glad you came out ok with it.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have heard of similar stories from two close friends... its really pitiful... on that note, i would NEVER take my bike to a dealer for routine maintenance, its just too easy to do at home, and it famaliarizes you with your bike and how it works. Plus... a fucking oil change at the dealer with the cheapest oil in the world is like $65!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
There seem to be a lot of people here who pay people to do easy work on their bikes. There isn't much on a motorcycle that is really difficult to do. Just get a good service manual and find someone in person or online who can help you with any snags.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Originally posted by hokie636
Why do we read this at least twice a month? Dealerships/shops leaving the plug out?! I say it everytime, that's why I do all maintenance myself. It actually pisses me off to read how guys on here almost wreck and wad their bikes up because of a stupid mistake like that. Glad you came out ok with it.
It is a stupid thing to here, but someone who isn't as mechanically incline will have nothing if they mess up the same way.

He may have been able to do it himself, but if he had forgotten something, it would have been his ass and his money on the line.

But, when the shop messes up, there ass and money is on the line, and any engine trouble down the line, is basically insured...by goodwill and/or lawsuits.

I would personally do the work my self, but forgeting something stupid and costing 9,000 dollars, or the shop doing something stupid and costing that person $90, is completely understandable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by trig

It is a stupid thing to here, but someone who isn't as mechanically incline will have nothing if they mess up the same way.

He may have been able to do it himself, but if he had forgotten something, it would have been his ass and his money on the line.

But, when the shop messes up, there ass and money is on the line, and any engine trouble down the line, is basically insured...by goodwill and/or lawsuits.

I would personally do the work my self, but forgeting something stupid and costing 9,000 dollars, or the shop doing something stupid and costing that person $90, is completely understandable.
The thing with dealers is that they will try %1000 of the time to try to get out of their mistake. Unless of course it was as obvious mistake as not putting any oil in the engine:( and even then you would have to go through months and months of hassle. And like you said if someone is mechanically inclined and did not know what happened to their bike i can garantee the dealer would try to lie their way out of it.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
That sucks man, hopefully there is no damage that reveals itself later on....although I fear that there will be.

--David

·
Registered
433 Posts
a mechanic forgot to tighten the oil plug after re filling the oil on my friends bike. The leaking oil got onto his rear tire and he started to fish tail. He was able to gain control of the bike and pulled over.......I took my bike to a kawi dealership for a simple oil change and the technician forgot to tighten down the fairing screws. I lost three of them before I notice what happened. i hope your bike is in good shape. did you notice white smoke coming from your exhaust?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Originally posted by richnlucke
i would NEVER take my bike to a dealer for routine maintenance, its just too easy to do at home, and it famaliarizes you with your bike and how it works. Plus... a fucking oil change at the dealer with the cheapest oil in the world is like $65!!

There it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.