Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have almost 9k on my 03 636 and Im noticing now that the engine is considerably louder, u can even hear it over my friends bikes when they are idling next to eachother. Im thinking I need some sort of valve adjustment because this noise has gotten louder. Is this something I can do? I think these valves are shim over bucket style so maybe all i need to do is replace the shim? What should I do?

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
its time, i think the book say 7k or so, my old one was done at around 7.5k and all were in spec. I also suggest putting on a Manual cam chain tentioner to quite the engine down.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Is the cam tensioner on the 03-04s like the 05 ZX-6R? After pushing my bike forward about 2 feet with the engine off in 6th gear my bike now makes almost no ticking noise. Was kinda loud before.

G

·
Originally posted by WHOA636
Is the cam tensioner on the 03-04s like the 05 ZX-6R? After pushing my bike forward about 2 feet with the engine off in 6th gear my bike now makes almost no ticking noise. Was kinda loud before.
to the OP - i would try this first. i did it on both my 04 and 05, except i rolled it forward and back a few times. there was a long thread a while back with people who did this and saying their bikes got quieter.

i was charged a lil over $300 IIRC for a valve check on my 04 when it had about 12k miles. everything was in spec.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
25k on my bike when I checked them and they were within spec, im pushing close to 30k now and will be doing the check again as soon as the season ends give or take around 33k should be on the bike at the time I check em.

Also the valve cover gasket is good to be reused but if your like me and have taken the valve cover off more then 2 times then you should replace it as mine is leaking now and overaul im waiting till I do the check again to replace it.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by 6RracerMP
2k6r520-- Ducati's require valve adjustments like oil changes, but that's just the nature of a Ducati.:D My 05 636 calls for an adjustment at 15k miles which is still pretty early compared to many other sportbikes. I know the r6 and r1 call for it at like 26k miles!!
you are right about ducati, check the valve clearance every 6k, but i do that with the old ninja also, i thought i read somewhere in the service manual that 7k was the mark.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do you guys think pushing the bike in 6th would help the tensioner? what happens to this thing? does it jump a tooth or something?

Push the bike in sixth with the engine off, in gear with the clutch out??

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by 03636Ninja
do you guys think pushing the bike in 6th would help the tensioner? what happens to this thing? does it jump a tooth or something?

Push the bike in sixth with the engine off, in gear with the clutch out??
the spring on the tensioner is usually what goes bad on them but I have never heard of one case on these forums of a 636 actually failing to the point the chain jumped a tooth or seized up. I didnt replace mine till 23-25k and even then the new one didnt quiet the motor down much.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stupid question, but I have to ask... When you guys push the bike in 6th, you push it in gear and engine off right? How much so you have to push it?

G

·
in gear, engine off

Originally posted by WHOA636
After pushing my bike forward about 2 feet with the engine off in 6th gear my bike now makes almost no ticking noise. Was kinda loud before.

·
Registered
700 Posts
if yer only at 9k, u don't need one yet. Wait till about 15-16k.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.