Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m trying to do the valve adustment on my 600, thought I knew what I was doing since I'd done them a few times on my 250, but go figure, technology has changed in the last 15 years...

Problems: I can't see how you are supposed to turn the camshafts. On my 250 there is a plug you pop off on the left(??) side of the engine where you can turn a bolt underneath that'll turn the camshafts. There looks to be nothing of this sort on the 600. What am I missing?

Next: I can see how to get in with my feeler gauges to measure the gaps, but for the life of me I don't see where or how you adjust the valves. The 250 has rocker valves with a screw/nut combo that adjusts them up and down. The 600 has circular discs ("tappets" acording to parts diagrahms, and I see NO bolts or screws that seem to correspond to adjusting them.

Help is much appreciated guys.

·
Registered
374 Posts
you are used to threaded adjusters with the 250 and 500r.. the 600 has shims under buckets.. meaning you take measurments of each valve clearance and if one is out of tolerance, you add shims or remove to bring into tolerance. In order to get shims out you have to remove the cams... I have only done threaded type so my experience is limited..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm researching it more as I type. I was figuring you had to remove the cams somehow or other, but I was hoping not to have to. I'll just have to be careful about realligning it I suppose.

And I thought the 250 was tough...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Disregard this post. I've learned the answers to my posted questions, I'll post back more if I have any.

Thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I looked over that link and it ansered a lot of my questions. I don't have a micrometer, but I'm hoping if I get the clearances measured acuratly, I can pull the shims and take them to the dealer and have them measure them and tell me what ones I'll need to replace them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.