Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI!!
A few questions...
I'm a new member and got to say I this site rocks!!!

I want to know if when adjusting valves, do you absolutely need to remove the cams? The service manual says yes, but a guy Iknow told me that he adjusted the valves on an older ninja and was able remove the shims with the cams in place...

I checked the valves first at 18 000 km and only one intake was .002"
tight so i left it there. the bike is now at 30 000km so i will do it real soon..

Also when I checked the valves, the tdc marks on the cam sprockets seemed off by 180 deg. Does anyone know about that?

thanks in advance.

go green or go home!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had A 98 model which i used to do the valve adjustments on. You are gonna need to take the cams out because it's just too hard to juggle everything. You can do 1 cam at a time though. It is possible but a pain in the ass. I have no idea why your marks are supposedly 180 out unless you are not aqctually at tdc. You should just make sure that the timing marks line up before you start by turning the timing rotor with a socket. The cam sprockets should have an 'in' and 'ex' mark stamped on each of them and these should be your guide to reinstallation of the cams. I hope that is helpful.

CUT BACK

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
First off is is impossible to adjust the valves without removing the cams. Some of the older Ninja had screw type valve adjusters that don't reqire cam removal at all. These were in the '80s. With that said the marks on the cams are a little confusing.

Turn the engine over until the timing mark lines up with the case split toward the rear of the bike. There are two (actually four). The one you are looking for says 1-4 and T. Now look at the cam lobes for #1 (far left cylinder on the bike as you are in riding position). If both the intake exhaust valves are closed you are in the #1 fire position. If either exhuast or intake are open you are in the #4 fire position, rotate the crank 360 degrees until the mark lines up again.

Now look at the end of the cam gears. There are two marks on the end of each gear IN an EX with a line under it. When everything is installed properly and the cam chain is pulled taut back toward the carbs the marks should be, starting at the exhuast side EX IN EX IN with all the line lining up at the top of the ending where the valve cover sits.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot guys.
I guess I will remove the cams....
This was 1 year ago but I remember something not beeing quite right.
when I lined up the marks like you said, (EX IN EX IN), I should achieve tdc for cyl # 1 and 4..., but I think the only cyl whith all the valves closed was # 3....Anyway, I will have to recheck the next time....Another thing I forgot is weather I will need to drain the oil before removing the camchain cover(the one on the right side).

go green or go home!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You can take the timing cover off without leaking oil if you keep it on the side stand. I certainly wouldn't do a valve adjust unless I had a factory service manual. Even then it is a bitch to get the cam sprockets lined up. I think it took me about four tries last time. I think the neighbor kids picked up some new vocabulary.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks...Another question(they just keep poping up...)
In the service manual is a tool made to set the adjuster. It's a plate that they say you can cut yourself. I don't understand what this is for....

go green or go home!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.