Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you guys have done a valve adjustment on your 636's. I have a bit over 27,000 miles on mine since buying it brand new in 06 and have not done it yet. Is definatly overdue by a longshot, and you can hear the damn things ticking. I've done it a bunch of times on small block Chevys; I'ts the same concept, just on a smaller scale, but I am a little nervous to tear that far into this thing without knowing what I'm getting into ahead of time. I've seen one getting the adjustment done at my local shop, and know how to do it. I am just curious if anyone has any experience with this and knows what kind of hiccups to expect. Thanks guys, -Ben

·
Registered
131 Posts
im at 38k miles, 2 lowsides at the track.. a bunch of wheels, burnouts, stoppies.. with no valves ticking... ive always run 20w50 oil...

·
Registered
14 Posts
The valve adjustment on a small block chevy is NOTHING like the adjustment on your bike. They are two completely different type of adjustment. Long story short, get a manual for you bike and you will see the difference.

·
Registered
131 Posts
:eek: on your Harley right??? :D
fuck harley... i run 20w50 on every bike ive ever owned... in the winter i run 15w40...

my 99 zx7r has almost 80k miles45k on the zx7r motor, 35k on the zx9r .. 38k on one of my 06 636s... 13k on the other... 29k on my cbr6....

never a problem... phoenix heat is about 105-120 by mid spring to oct...

let me guess u run... 0w20 race oil for the 1 xtra ponies....

·
Registered
291 Posts
i took her in at 23,000. valves still in spec...so they said. 400 bucks for nothing but a cam chain adjustment. thats whats probably causing the noise for you. it sounds just like tapping valves

·
Registered
68 Posts
at 27k my valves were painfully out of spec (ie .0045" off)... just the exhaust though. it's not too bad to do, just takes some patience

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with mstrpeter that its not very difficult to do. But at $10 to $20 per shim it can sure add up for parts. You'll want to make sure that your math is correct and that you're buying the correct shim thicknesses.

Doing it yourself will be much cheaper than having a shop do it, but it all depends on how mechanically inclined you are.

·
Registered
68 Posts
if you have access to the proper tools you can just grind em, a surface grinder lets you accuratley take off .0005 at a time :) the only cost I incurred was a valve cover gasket and new spark plug tube gaskets along with a few orings and an oil change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts