Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me start by saying this maybe the best web site on the whole net. Ive been riding for a couple of years, Ive had a 97 Katana and 99 Katana both 600's. About a month ago I bought my first "real" sports bike, a 00 zx6r. It was in near showroon shape from what I could tell. The guy I purchased it from said he had dealer services done on it, but didnt have any recipts. The bike had 8700 miles on it, it now has about 1130 on it. My buddy says I should get the valves adjusted and have it serviced. I was wondering how important this was, I never had it done on the Katanas. Also the bike makes a pop when I brake hard on the front, I read a post about the steering bearings, how hard is that to fix. I have a dealers service manual and Im some what mechaniclly (???) inclined, but is it something I can do in my garage. Other than that I love the bike, Ive rode a gsxr 1300 1000 and a cbr 600, and while they my perform better, The zx beats them all around on comfort styling and driveability. Thats just my opinion though.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Welcome to the board, Eric.

A valve clearance adjustment is not something you can do in your garage unless you have the right tools. It is hard to say if your bike is in need of such adjustment (especially if you don't know if one has already been done), but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything (besides maybe your wallet) to get one done. I don't know what to tell you about the pop, though. It could be a few things from your bearings to your forks to the breaks themselves.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Eric_24,

You can find the answers to your questions in your manual.

It lists all scheduled maintenance, including valve clearance checks. The valve clearance should be checked at the proper mileage, and it should be adjusted if it is not within the specified range.

A valve clearance check is not a simple job. Check out the instructions in the Engine Top End chapter of your manual, and see if you are up to it. For info on steering inspection, check out the instructions in the Steering chapter.

If you spin a good wrench, you can use the manual to perform most maintenance procedures yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.