Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 02 zx-6r now has 18.5K miles on it and its overdue for a valve job. I've been quoted a range of prices from 166-330 from 2 hrs to 6 hrs. I was wonderin how indeph a valve alignment is. I've taken off valve covers on cars before, but never messed w/ the valves themselves. im guessin removal of tank, fairings, carbs and box are required. Just some past experiences or info would be great, (note i don't like workin on cars/bikes, but to save a buck, i'll bite it)

thanx

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I've never done a valve adjustment on a kawi but I have done it on my buds Suzuki Bandit 600 before. Take off the fairings, tank and airbox, don't think you need to remove the carbs. Then remove the valve cover and check the specs according to the service manual (hopefully you have one?). Adjust as needed and use a new gasket when putting the valve cover back on. Prolly take the better part of an afternoon if you haven't done it before but not a big deal since you would be saving money on labor and learning how to fix your bike yourself while you are at it :D

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
to check valves, you'll be removing as you said, plus one of the right side engine covers (not the clutch cover), to spin the engine.

If you need to make an adjustment, you also then have to remove the cam chain tensioner, the cam shaft cover, the cam shafts. (remember to not drop the cam chain when you remove the cam shafts).

It does take a few hours to do, 2hrs labour would only be possible if it did not require any adjustments.

·
Registered
181 Posts
damn...thats not good...mines about due for one of those too:(

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
If you dont understand what you're doing with it i wouldnt attempt it, doing the check is rather easy, just sliding a feeler gauge under the concetric(where lobe is not ramping up or down) part of cam lobe to see what the clearance actually is. Changing that clearance is a different story.. Documentation is pretty critical as you're going to be adding and subtracting a few numbers to figure out what you need to change to make those clearances correct, then of course doing it, reinstalling everything and making sure the valves are in time with the crank and then, rechecking the clearance because you're a professional and hope everything is good. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx for the info...that sounds pretty intense and i donno if i wanna mess w/ such a delicate piece of machinery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.