Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK, i just purchased an 02 zx6r and love it. At what mileage do I need to check the valve clearance and have my first major check up on it. My local dealer says 600 miles and if not mistaken is charging almost $500 for the full check. Any help would be appreciative. And one more thing. You guys are great. I have read a lot of great help to so many newbies to the sport of riding and it seems all of you have much love for it. Again thanks for everything and I look forward to the advice. Sandy

Circumstances Rule!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Correct! I called Kawasaki directly and they also told me that the first valve adjustment isn't until you reach the 6,000 to 7,000 mile range.

At 600 miles, all they do is change the oil and lube the chain. In Texas, it's around $50.

"The Famous Mr. Ed"

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by mred

Correct! I called Kawasaki directly and they also told me that the first valve adjustment isn't until you reach the 6,000 to 7,000 mile range.

At 600 miles, all they do is change the oil and lube the chain.
That is not quite right.

The valve clearance should be checked every 15,000 miles, starting at 15,000 miles. Since the 600-mile service does not include a valve clearance check, $500 is a bit much.

But the 600-mile service is more than just an oil change and a chain lube. Look to your owner's manual for a list of all scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Oops! My bad Rob. The Kawasaki rep on the phone told me 12,000 miles for the clearance check, and a Kawai mechanic told me he did his own and recommends checking them at 6,000. Reguardless, I myself have come across the same situation when it comes to getting the correct information. Each shop, dealership, or whoever works on bikes, is always going to have a different philosphy, or reason for doing what they do. It's hard to find a good mechanic that you can trust if you can't do it yourself...

Good Luck!

"The Famous Mr. Ed"

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
wait, my manual says to check the valves at 7500 miles I think...I ride a 2002...

i'll check when I get home.....

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Sandy Singles,

My mistake.

I did not see your model year until now. Only on the 2003 bike should the valve clearance be checked every 15,000 miles, starting at 15,000 miles. On older bikes, the valve clearance is checked earlier and more often.

If there is no maintenance chart in your owner's manual, another older bike owner should chime in soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks guys, I might have misunderstood what they were telling me. I will go back to the dealer just to make sure..Thanks for everything.

Circumstances Rule!

·
Registered
202 Posts
F**K what the booklet said,if you do your own work,like i do because i couldnt aford to pay someone to do it or would i trust them.O i am a mechaic that cant spell,but anyway do ALL the checks and fluid changs in the winter once a year.you'll never go wrong,most likly you only ride about 5K a year.I know alot of people dont do the work themself but you would save SO much money and you would learn ALOT about your bike.my first bike i had was a 71 cb 450 and i let a shop tune it up(it worked great) but it cost me 200 bucks,so i bought a book and starting to work on it myself.this was before i started to work on cars.now i have the money to buy all the goodies i want for my bike. B:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.