Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 zx6r has 90,000 miles on it and I have never adjusted the valves on it but it doesn't make any noise do you think I shoud go ahead and adjust them anyway or leave well enough alone? If you think I should does anyone know where I can get a shim kit for it?

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Actually...valves will be noisiest when in spec.

Being "tight" can cause wear to the cam and bucket.

90,000 fook...thats gotta be a record on this forum. If you did a leak down test I bet it would be pretty bad.

Hot Cams makes shim kits for way cheaper than OEM....but you don't know what you need till you get in there.

With those kinds of miles I suspect every valve has no clearnace. The sealing surfaces are probably pitted and carboned up, as well as the valve seat. You'll have to put a smaller shim in just to take a measurement.

My 98 zx6r had 11,500 on it at the adjustment....all 16 were out of spec, and 2 were so tight that my .0015 gauge wouldn't go in.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My 2000 zx6r has 90,000 miles on it and I have never adjusted the valves on it
Are you the original owner?!? If so and you have really ridden 90k without a single valve adjustment since day one, I think jbreit is right on. That's almost too hard to believe!!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
ive had my zzr for a season and a half now, with 11,000kms on the clock (6800 miles?), i am the original owner and the valves have not been adjusted yet... should i do it right away? can i get away with the rest of this season and adjust them come winter? i can hear valvetrain noise so i know they are not dangerously tight but im paranoid sometimes lol

·
Registered
315 Posts
ive had my zzr for a season and a half now, with 11,000kms on the clock (6800 miles?), i am the original owner and the valves have not been adjusted yet... should i do it right away? can i get away with the rest of this season and adjust them come winter? i can hear valvetrain noise so i know they are not dangerously tight but im paranoid sometimes lol
IIRC 12k or 15k is the 1st recommended interval and seems about right. Depending on how you ride some guys can make it to about 20k without being too far out of spec. So if I were you I wouldn't worry about it yet and just enjoy the ride for now :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
I thought I had alot of miles on my '99, I'm now at 84,625 but I've had my valves adjusted like clock work. It still runs perfect after 9yrs. More power to you!

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
I find this very hard to believe considering the nature of F-models to have notoriously soft heads. Every time I've adjusted mine half of them were out. If that thing still runs I would recommend reconditioning the seats, inspecting the valves and guides, cams and tappets, then adjusting clearance. I'm willing to bet the valves are mushroomed. I would also like to see the leak-down results.

cliffs: Get your valves done at regular intervals or your head WILL get destroyed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just adjusted mine on a 07 zzr600 with 20500mi. All exhaust were .001 below min spec of .009. But all were consistent. On the intake all were middle of spec except 1 that ony had .003. Min being .004. But when I took the carbs off I couldn't believe the amount of carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves. The bike has no blowby of oil through the airbox so it must be the fuel. I always get the best. Guess I'll have to run cleaning additives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts