Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone new to this site!!! well here is the problem, when i start my bike its fine and then in ten seconds it starts to tap and its not real loud, just loud enough to piss me off. i wonder what this is cause i get alot of opinions about this and they are all different and the kawi dealers here suck arse!! the machanics do not know what they are doin so any advise for me would be freakin great!!!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Which part of the engine is the tapping coming from? Does it the sound rise ase revs increase, does the sound go away when the bike heats up. Could be cam chain or valve clearance. How many miles does the bike have and when was the last time you had a service.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It is a kawasaki man, it is a very normal sound for them.

My experience is that the noise is from the CCT tensioner and the noise is from the cam chain. All three of my kawasaki have done it. Either replace the CCT with a APE manual version or get used to the noise until the tensioner moves t the next notch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
man its on the right side you hear it better, it does go faster when the rev goes up and no it doesnt stop when it warms up! i have 5000 miles on it now. i just had my service done last week, how do u change the cct or valve clearance?

·
Registered
602 Posts
it's most likely the CCT. kawi makes fast bikes. fast bikes are loose. loose bikes make noise. hell i've gotten so used to the noises i kind of appreciate them.

Pain is your friend. it lets you know your still alive <----replace pain with noise for kawis

·
Registered
66 Posts
my 04 10R ticks alot too but im used to it and like it because its fast as hell. my 03 636 did the same but it also was a fast bike

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If you really want to quite the noise down some you can do this...

On the right side of the motor is the CCT tensioner, it is a couple on inches down from the valve cover, it has two small bolts that hold it to the head and one big bolt in the middle.

Take a socket and remove the middle bolt, slowly pull out the bolt. There is going to be a bolt, washer, spring, and roll pin. Do not loose any of these items.

Now with the tensioner bolt removed take a really small phillips head screw driver and instert it into the hole in the CCT. You will need one with at least 6" of legnth on it so you can put some force on it.

Now pull your main seat and open the fuse panel and remove the fule pump fuse. This will ensure the bike will not start, it wont hurt it if it does but I personally dont like the bike running while I am doing this as you are somewhat fighting the motor to push the adjuster out.

Once you get to this point turn the bike on and with your screw driver in the CCT hole turn the bike over and at the same time push with moderate force on the screwdriver. What you are doing is pushing the ratchet mechanism out a noth or two. This will take up the slack in the chain an quite it down.

once done with this replace the fuse and then put the CCT bolt back in, make sure you ahve the bolt, washer, spring, and roll pin and then put all back together.

Now enjoy your new found quiteness for another 5k miles.

The bad thing about kawasaki design is that the little spring you had in your hand is the only thing try to put pressure on the CCT pintle and it just can not over come the motor when running so this is a easy way to manually ratchet the adjuster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow sneaky that is awesome stuff thanks for the info just to tell u i did get the manual adjuster from aperacing. i really like this site because people like yourself care about it all that is really awesome thanks again bro

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah bro my zx9, 636, zx6, zx12 and now my zx10 do it. Its the cct. Get an after market exhaust and you wont hear it. lol Like the boz mora system. MUHAHAHHAHA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by greengoblin10r
hello everyone new to this site!!! well here is the problem, when i start my bike its fine and then in ten seconds it starts to tap and its not real loud, just loud enough to piss me off. i wonder what this is cause i get alot of opinions about this and they are all different and the kawi dealers here suck arse!! the machanics do not know what they are doin so any advise for me would be freakin great!!!

HEY MAN.. THIS IS THE SAME NOISE I HAD BEFORE MY CLUTCH AND TRANNY BLEW APART. THE DEALER THOUGHT IT WAS LOWER ENGINE KNOCK AND WANTED TO REBUILD THE ENGINE.. BUT A FEW DAYSL LATER MY CLUTCH SMASHED INTO PEICES.. THE SAME SCENARIO SOUND AS WHAT YOUR EXPERIENCING
LOOK AT THIS POST.

http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63302

AND MY OTHER OTHER ON THE ZX-10R.NET

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21790

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it was my cct thank god i got the ape racing manual adjuster and it works like a charm the only problem now it how tight or loose do i want it. the adjustable one i had on there wont push all the way out it goes have way out and you have to pull it the rest of the way out. if i have it to loose or to tight how do i know it taps when it starts and then goes away, and also my buddy rode it and i died on him a couple of times. is that meaning to loose or to tight help please and thanks, oh yeah the two bros exhuast sounds so good it was an excellent choice in pipes wow i am impressed!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.