Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted earlier about having my suspension set up at Lee's here in San Diego. I was a little skeptical,seeing as they had really soften up the front preload to 6 lines, while at the same time increasing rear preload to 8 lines. I even called them and asked what was the rationale for doing that, seeing as most have stiffened up the front. Well, the guy basically said don't question it before taking it through the corners. Well, it worked. The pogo-ing it had before is gone, even after several passes up and down the mountain. It felt taunt and composed...nothing magical by any means, I just had a lack of complaints. Just on a whim I checked the damping settings when I got home, and sure enough they had adjusted that too (some places just set the spring sag and leave it up to you to fiddle the damping). They added compression damping to both ends while softening the damping on both ends....while increasing preload in the rear and decreasing it in the front. Sounds weird, but here are my setting (at 190 lbs):

FRONT
preload 6 lines (3 lines stock)
rebound 2.25 turns out (1.75 turns out stock)
compression 0.25 turns out(0.75 turns stock)

REAR
8 lines preload (2 lines stock)
rebound 14 clicks out (9 clicks out stock)
compression 0.25 turns out(0.75 turns out stock)

Don't know why it works..but it does. BUT, the bike only feels better going through the turns. On the freeway there isn't much difference, in fact it might be a little worse in that environment, but so what. It's worth the $30 to do this. My corner speeds were up 3-4 mph today with no perceived increase in riding effort, and that's nothing that a PcIII or pipe could do. I now have a woody for suspension stuff...hell I might just go full Ohlins next:D

G

·
good job. im glad mine came with upgraded suspension, even tho everything else is stock, and will probably stay that way. [8D]

·
Registered
759 Posts
A properly set up suspension is worth more to me than horsepower. Get the right springs for your weight (if needed), dial in the sag, then adjust damping to suit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sport Rider magazine came up with these settings when they tested the 2005 bike: front- preload 3 lines showing
rebound 2-1/2 turns out
compression 1-1/2 turns out
rear- preload 2 threads showing
rebound 14 clicks out
compression 3/4 turn out

don't know what lb rider they set this up for but i am 170lb and seemed to work a lot better in the tight curves than the factory settings wich are for a 150 lb rider. Seemed to take the tightness out ,sort of skipping feeling in the curves although the front does feel more mushy when hitting bumps on the straights and braking but end result a lot better in the curves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.