Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So, yeah... I need to swap my engine coz mine is not worthy of repairing. I have found ER6 2012/2016 engine. Will it electrically be all right? I mean, I don't want to make huge fuss when it comes to ecus

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hello and welcome, what happened to your engine and rendered it useless?
Mechanic found that the camchain sprocket on the crankshaft is damaged. It's missing almost a half of it's teeth. While there is no particles arround or in the oil except 3 small pieces of a gear that were stuck to the impulse magnet on the bottom... Camchain itself has no damages whatsoever. Those small pieces of gears found @ impulse magnet are darker than those on the crankshaft. The place where they chipped off should be shiny, but there black like stuff that I couldn't scratch off with my nails which leads to assumption that they were there for a quite long time. Looks like I bought an used overpriced garbage and I need to invest additional money in.

Anyways. I have found er6 engine from 2012-2016 range and I need some informations whenever it will fit my 2012 versys incl ecu and the harness.

Er6 is ninja right? I don't wanna make an error since there is a lot of names for the same engine like 650r, ex650, er6f or er6n.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Mechanic found that the camchain sprocket on the crankshaft is damaged. It's missing almost a half of it's teeth. While there is no particles arround or in the oil except 3 small pieces of a gear that were stuck to the impulse magnet on the bottom... Camchain itself has no damages whatsoever. Those small pieces of gears found @ impulse magnet are darker than those on the crankshaft. The place where they chipped off should be shiny, but there black like stuff that I couldn't scratch off with my nails which leads to assumption that they were there for a quite long time. Looks like I bought an used overpriced garbage and I need to invest additional money in.

Anyways. I have found er6 engine from 2012-2016 range and I need some informations whenever it will fit my 2012 versys incl ecu and the harness.

Er6 is ninja right? I don't wanna make an error since there is a lot of names for the same engine like 650r, ex650, er6f or er6n.
Unfortunately it seems like quite substantial damage, it happens man, sometimes life gives us lemons.

The model denominations through the years are Er6 n and Er6-f for the naked and faired European versions, Ninja 650R for the US early versions, EX-6 and Z650 and Ninja 650 for the latest naked and faired versions globally.

I am sure that the engine you've mentioned is swappable, maybe not a direct fit, but definitely doable.

The Versys engines definitely have different cam profiles and torque characteristics but I can't provide you with any technicals details about the intended swap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts