Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very informative I agree with the peer pressure thing, got a guy I know who bought a 2012 GX6R as his first bike and dropped it about a week later. I'll stick with my 250, love the hell out of that thing and don't have any reason to "upgrade" at the moment. That thing can kill the twisties.

·
Registered
41 Posts
After reading this post, I have absolutely no desire to upgrade from my 250r now, and feel more confident about my choice to buy one in the first place ^^

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great Thread!

I just started riding about 6 weeks ago, I'm 6"4 and weight 150lbs (yea yea I know I'm one tall skinny guy!)
I bought a 2007 250. I do want to get a new bike, but I'm going to try to pickup a 2013 250r, I don't think I need more power then what I have I just like the modern style of the new bike. (Fuel Injection, doesn't hurt either!)

Even though I'm tall I'm perfectly comfortable on my little 250 and I have no plans of getting a bigger bike!

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the 2012, I love it. While the 2013 looks great, ill just put a couple hundred in this one to make it a little more sleak, and ride it for a year or so before moving onto something else. Or until it does. Or until I wreck it. In any case, Im pretty happy with mine ^^

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would just like to thank you for talking some sense into me!

My 18th birthday is coming up in a few days and I have enough money saved up to get a bike off craigslist, and have been back and forth between a 2008+ 250r or an older 600cc bike.

Many of my friends are telling me to "go for the bigger bike" and even my dad, who started on an 2004 yamaha fz1 (he did say that if was stupid and if he would have bought it while he was 19 he would have wrapped himself around a pole in a week) was telling me that a 250 is "too slow for the freeways."

Thanks for talking some sense into me, I don't need to go 100+ when I have absolutely zero experience with street bikes, and although I'd like to think that I'm mature enough to hold back..... I'm not sure I could handle the temptation on a straight desolate country road....

P.S. I do plan on taking the MSF course :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
this is possibly the most common sense and intelligence ive heard/read from the internet in a very long time. really great write up buddy, make a lot of sense. im from australia and there is plenty of so call "squids" that are not able to ride 600s,100s etc because of license restrictions but still do and end up killing themselves :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Great info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok, after reading this thread.... I do have a few questions.

First a back story and keep in mind, I weigh over 300lbs.

First off, I've loved the looks of the 250ninja since i was in high school over 20 years ago. I've always wanted one.

I'm sure I'm rusty with clutch and gears as pretty much the only experience I've had with clutch in gears was about 20 years ago, on a Kawasaki 175 enduro. I loved that little bike, but only rode it a bit because it belonged to a friend. But I did get comfortable with shifting it and I took to that quickly.

About a year ago, me and my buddies (Kevin and Ray) started playing around with Gas bikes. This ended quickly as they kept breaking so we decided to get scooters. All three of us started riding 150cc chinese made scooters and enjoyed them greatly. As a matter of fact, I've put over 6000 miles on mine since November of last year. My little fortune cookie can do (gps verified) 58MPH with me on it (remember 300lbs rider) plus assorted gear on 10" wheels. It gets a bit squirmy but I love riding it. My two buddies then decided to upgrade to 500cc big wheeled scooters. One now rides a Piaggio Beverly and the other one a Scarebeo. Both bikes weigh in around 600lbs. The three of us really like to do things together and so, I'm now in the market for a bigger bike. Both the Beverly and Scarebeo are very happy on the freeway (both are capable of 100plus) and we would like to be able to take day trips with alot of freeway riding.

Here is what I'm comfortable with, I've put enough miles on the Scarebeo to know I really like that bike, but finding one I can afford is gonna be tough, they are a bit rare in my area. I can turn smoothly on it, but u-turns are still uncomfortable (I've put about 40 miles on it over the weekend as my little scoot had a blow out and Ray was nice enough to let me borrow it while it was being fixed) Keep in mind that bike weighs over 600lbs and with my bulk on it, you are looking at 900lbs.

So, my big question is... with 300lbs rider, would a 250 be happy with long extended freeway runs at 65 to 70 or should I be looking at the 500? The 250 looks like it would be so much fun in the turns and cheap as can be for my commute (freeway about 15miles each way) Also keep in mind this bike is going to end up with hard bags (I carry camera gear and other things) and I like the riding position of the 250. I haven't sat on a 500 yet. I also need to get my M1 endorsement (150 scooter are legal on a regular driving license)

Other bikes I've considered are a older honda silver wing (not the scooter).

My eventual goal is to move up into a Concourse. I really like that bike, and it seems like it would be good value for money on the used market.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you, vex, this was a real eye opener. After almost 40 years of riding, I am now the owner of a 93 model 250. I intend on mostly putting around town and throwing it in the pickup and hauling it up to the mountains, something my 60 yr old carcass finds increasingly difficult to do with my 550lb kz900. I'm pretty certain my expectations are about what you stated, and I expect to have a good time. Thanks for your insight and efforts.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Great read vex, read this a year or so ago. Just re read it. Its plain ole comments sense, yet the same old stuff comes up over and over. Thanks again for trying to head off the ignorance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Vex...perfect! You hit the nail right on the head! Loved reading this! I have a 250r and ride it everyday...there is no reason why this bike should be so "inferior" that someone can ever say that it's strong enough....at least for normal speeds. I laugh at people on a regular basis who tell me that my engine is "too small". But oh well that's their opinion....anyways thanks for the entertainment!

141 - 153 of 153 Posts