Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good vid showing how it sounds? Also is the stock can just mild steel or is it SS (304?). Trying to figure out which wire I should I use to weld it back up with and if it's worth the work. I just want something a tad louder.

·
Registered
26 Posts
well, this is what i did. My buddy cut 15 inches off this d&d pipe on his gixxer so i took that, cut my exhaust open, took out the labyrinth of baffles and pipes and welded the guts inside. It was very easy ( im a tig welder by profession), only requiring me to weld the perferated tube with packing around it on aboutn a 30 degree angle from the back to the front. I used stainless rod just because i prefer the way it lays and looks. I would highly recommend trying to get some packing and the perferated tube out of a aftermarket exhaust and putting in in there as you don't want a giant empty space for the exhaust to get all mixxed up in, you want some "flow". There are plently of people who chop their exhaust or just buy a cheap used aftermarket for a zzr or something. The 15" was plenty because theres about 6" of the oval that extendes into the ehaust and i just shaped the perferated tube to match and it works great. SInce i replaed the baffles with the d&d there wasnt much of a weight savings but it was a free and easy way to make my bike sound like a bike, not a sewing machine on steroids lol. ohh yeh, do your self a favor and paint it high temp semi-gloss and grind off the licence plate bracket, if you like the looks of the stocker like i do, itll look tits.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When you took out the baffles and guts and what-not, did it eliminate the servo-flapper thing? Either way, did it change power delivery?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Endoz, good point. I have a bunch of 16 gauge tubing lying around since I've made a number of exhausts on cars. But the perforated tube would probably make things quieter. Do you have a vid of how yours sound? Pics?

I'm in the same boat as you, I like the way the stock can looks over most of the aftermarket cans. Plus I don't want to have to do away with the stock servo and remap the entire thing since the low end mapping will be completely off without the servo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
when i gutted the exhaust i left the exhaust servo in. I figured they put it in for a reason so i figured it couldnt hurt. but i made the mistake of turning on the key while the cables were disconnected and i havent been able to get it in its original position which i think is causing a dead spot at 6.5k and 8.5k rpms but we'll see.

ill have to find my camera to post pics and vids.

·
Registered
495 Posts
i am also interested, ive been pondering this idea for my 06 just because i have access to gut the stock can and dont have the money to by a full system (what i want) let alone a slip on which you still have to re map (ugh).

please do post any pics and vids of this being odne.

thanks
-sean

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The vid he has is a little low quality. I was also planning on doing something like Endoz with the perforated pipe in there. That huge empty can can't be good for flow/power. But I'd imagine putting the perforated pipe in there would make it no better/worse than any other aftermarket slipon.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The vid he has is a little low quality. I was also planning on doing something like Endoz with the perforated pipe in there. That huge empty can can't be good for flow/power. But I'd imagine putting the perforated pipe in there would make it no better/worse than any other aftermarket slipon.
i dno about the perferated pipe unless you plan on putting alot of steel wool material in there like most all other mufflers have.
i would much rather do a straight pipe from entrance to exit which will improve flow and power greatly and imo sound.
this is just me though.

-sean

·
Registered
26 Posts
i dno about the perferated pipe unless you plan on putting alot of steel wool material in there like most all other mufflers have.
i would much rather do a straight pipe from entrance to exit which will improve flow and power greatly and imo sound.
this is just me though.

-sean

sean, the packing of the d&d was so tightly wound and glued it just stayed together, it was pretty much like putting a straight pipe but i figured it would help. thats probably why their so damn loud on most bikes

·
Registered
297 Posts
Here's something I've been wondering. I know it's not the cleanest, and it's probably not the best for flow, but if we did something like this:

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=117162&highlight=exhaust+mod

Just cut off the end of the muffler everywhere except for where the tip brackets are, then just remove whatever baffling we want. Really it'd just be an unglorified straight through muffler.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I gutted my stock muffler out completley on my 06 and it's sounds gay! It's a little louder but the tone of it sounds weird.
I'm gonna get another stock one and put back on since I don't have the cash right now for a aftermarket.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I gutted my stock muffler out completley on my 06 and it's sounds gay! It's a little louder but the tone of it sounds weird.
I'm gonna get another stock one and put back on since I don't have the cash right now for a aftermarket.
I just found this vid on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GwsupCdog4

If yours sounds like this then I'd have to agree. But from the sound of it the guy only gutted everything out without putting back in a perforated pipe/muffler packing

·
Registered
495 Posts
it sounds gay becuase they exhaust is filling up the can up to much without much space to leave, however it you gut it and put a straight pipe entrance to exit then it'll sound good, at least it should.
im about to do this to mine since im broke at the moment so going this route will suffice, i will wiegh and take pics and sound clips of how well it turns out.

-sean

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it sounds gay becuase they exhaust is filling up the can up to much without much space to leave, however it you gut it and put a straight pipe entrance to exit then it'll sound good, at least it should.
im about to do this to mine since im broke at the moment so going this route will suffice, i will wiegh and take pics and sound clips of how well it turns out.

-sean
Sweet, I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out. When I said gutted exhaust I didn't think guys were literally only taking out the baffles and not putting anything back in.

·
Registered
297 Posts
So I took the plunge and hacked on my stock can. I cut off the rear most end of the can underneath the pipe ONLY. So basically it's a straight cut under the pipe and then hack the rest of that piece off as well as the pipe. Huge improvement over stock sound, and I definitely picked up some power as well.

All was good until I got home from a long ride through the canyon. The plastic 'tip' had started to melt and sag. =( It wasn't horrible, but it's definitely noticeable. So, to cover it up while I'm waiting for my next stock can to come in, I spray painted the plastic tip black. Looks pretty good.

Here's a question though. On the next can, I'd like to cut the whole thing open then gut it and throw in a straight pipe. However, I can imagine how loud that would be as my can right now is pretty dang loud. So, I'd like to get some perforated tubing and wrap it with some packing and then have it welded in. Does that sound like a good idea? Also, if I left the tubing round at the entrance of the can, and then smashed it down a bit to match the exit portion of the can, would that really hurt the performance much?

And does anyone know where to get packing and perforated tubing? Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was thinking on doing the same thing kronus, as I gutted mine completely out and opened up the stock exit size and it's way to loud. I'm trying to fine some packing and tubing also. Lmk if you find somewhere.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.