Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, looking for opinions on this. I'm looking to clean up my right side lower fairing as it's a bit scratched and now chipped from a fall a while back. I bought and fitted a new middle fairing but not the right lower which is all painted candy blue.

I was thinking about going the matte black vinyl route on both the lowers instead of buying just one new RH lower in blue. What do you think, will it look ok if I do that. I know that there were some models that already came with the matte black lowers from new but I don't know which model that is, maybe a US model.

Also, is vinyl wrap strong and durable? Any ideas or suggestions would be really appreciated in helping me decide what I should/n't do.

Cheers.:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
The cost savings alone makes vinyl wrapping worth the effort... Give it a go... I've vinyl wrapped cars.. and even a few bikes and have yet to be disappointed with not only the finish, but durability. Typically, vinyl wrap lasts an easy 2 years.. and since its not permanent, should you decide you don't like it.. just peel it off..

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers ZEDX, I'll think about that. I mean, I get so obsessed about trying to keep it as clean as possible, I might just accept that it's only a few scratches on an 08 model and live with it, can barely see then from say 10 feet away. Maybe some decals might do the trick.

Would vinyl wrap not last longer than say 2-3 years then? I was hoping more like 5-6 years, but I don`t know xyz about that stuff.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I went ahead and got the lower fairings wrapped in matte black, 40 dollars in your money, 90 Reais in Brazil. I like it a lot actually, and I'm glad that went through some wrap experience. Now that I've done it, I really believe that you can't beat OEM paint job. Might sound silly but even getting them wrapped it's not 100% like paint. That said, it looks cool as it breaks up all the blue on that model and blends in nice with the rest of the bike. Any opinions welcome on this. Sorry, no pics, but I'm sure you can use your imagination. Ben

P.S I mean not 100% perfect.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so after riding around for a few days, i have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the vinyl wrap that I had put on my 2 lowers fairings.

Basically the fairings get hot of course which in turn is causing the vinyl to peel off from deep curved parts where theres the open gap on both sides. I feel a bit hard done by about this and I can't be arsed to go back to the guy to explain because I know that I won't get anywhere with it and personally I'd rather just rip it off and now show the original colour.

Is it just me or has anyone else had this problem.

Also I've seen a pair of carbon fibre lower fairings which look great, but I suppose there's a risk involved in buying anything aftermarket like that because you never know if they're going to fit right.

Please give your thoughts and opinions about this. Cheers, Ben:)

·
Registered
279 Posts
A good wrap will last 5 years, by the price you paid..sounds like they used the cheap china vinyl and didn't coat the edges and with a product I use on all my wrap jobs 3m edge sealer.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Blink. He said they use 3M stuff as advertised on the shop banner but who really knows, it may well have been cheap stuff and I'll never know. I peeled it all off yesterday, took no time, just came straight off with absolutely no residue remaining, quick wipe and back on bike. Feel a bit gutted really but it was an experiment more than anything and I don't think I ever use wrap again after that experience, but that said, I'm sure it's good to use for better applications.

Even on the edges it was starting to shrink as if it was pulled but didn't stay in place and started showing the blue underneath. I guess that's a sure sign of a poor job with no edge sealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The cost savings alone makes vinyl wrapping worth the effort... Give it a go... I've vinyl wrapped cars.. and even a few bikes and have yet to be disappointed with not only the finish, but durability. Typically, vinyl wrap lasts an easy 2 years.. and since its not permanent, should you decide you don't like it.. just peel it off..
I like your idea! I'll consider doing my own vinyl wrap project as well but will probably seek some professional help from gatorwraps.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts