Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the Vortex Clipons from motorcyclesuperstore.com for 160 with overnight(ish) shipping.

Took about a week because I dropped the front end all the way down, and took my time getting it back up. I should have taken pics, and done a write up on it, but coulda, woulda shoulda. I feel so greedy now.

after the install, i went out for a couple hours to get a feel for it. I like these so much more than the stock bars. they are a shot ton lighter, and the riding position after dropping the front end 2 inches feels a ton more aggressive. you can see in the pics that my forks are locked in place, so the clearance is definetly there.

I also did the cowl, added 10hp with the 250R decals, and I have the hotbodies undertail in the mail. Ill definetly post the install on that!

·
I ♥ Cute Cats!
22,797 Posts
TWO inches?! I think I wound up a bit over 1 inch lowered and I was worried that would be too much. I, ehh, would contemplate raising the front a bit. You're going to likely bottom out and hit the front mud flap over bumps and such, and that's going to be very unpredictable on the freeway! I'd actually like to eventually get a set of Woodcraft clip-ons, RAISE my front end possibly 1/2" OVER stock, and then raise my rear 1" over stock. So I'd net only about a 1/2" front end drop in the end and regain my ground clearance plus some.

While yes, it might feel super quick to turn now; when you wind up getting a massive tank slapper when you ride over a pebble just right you're going to thank me :D

Mr. Unclean: Clip-on's are as the name implies. If you'll notice your handlebars mount to the triple tree. Clip-ons clip onto the fork tubes. There are two styles: The above the triple mount and below the triple mount. The Vortex style are the above the triple mount. Notice how he doesn't have those ridiculously tall handlebars anymore and the clip-ons which now reside around the fork tubes? They allow for you to lower the height which your bars are for a more aggressive rider stance, allow FOR adjustability (which you can't do with the stock handlebars), and primarily are meant for easy replacement if/when you dump the bike at the track. Rather then having to replace a handlebar you just take out the bar (very inexpensive), throw away, and slide a new one into the clip-on.

The only downside about the Vortex style clip-on is since they mount above the triple clamp, you have to raise the fork tubes a bit to clamp them on. Meesa thinking someone might have raised their tubes a bit too much though :evil6:

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
Holy crap! Your bike is lowered like HELL. I don't think that's an good idea. Especially when you wheelie. (yeah you said you wheelie, right?)

I have the same clip-on product. I lowered my fork enough for the clip on to be firmly secured, with about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of the fork coming out of the clip ons.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty extreme. I run the Vortex clip ons flush with the fork tubes. Yields +/- 1.25". I was at about 1.5" and it was a tad too much for me.
Just for fun I lowered the front about 3", I wouldn't ride it, but it looked sorta groovy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vex, you make a good point about the bottoming out on my front flap. Whe the instal was complete, I rode around the town, and didnt notice any clearance issues. However I didnt take it on the highway, or over 60 mph for that matter. Just to be safe I am going to raise the forks about an inch or so, ride around hit some speed bumps, dips, cats, small kids and adjust the hight accordingly if I need more clearance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
which color did you order? This is next on my list after my slip-on (so in like, two or three weeks). I am debating between the black and green.
I would suggest the black for the 09 SE model... if you notice only the topside of the tail is green... the underside is black. Just my .02 ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
which color did you order? This is next on my list after my slip-on (so in like, two or three weeks). I am debating between the black and green.

Black with the smoked tailight, I got a call form one of the reps and he told me that its on back order for a few weeks. BUmmer

·
Registered
13 Posts
@ Vex,

Do you have any experience with the Gilles Tooling variobars. They allow alot of adjustability and my main concern is getting the angle steep enough. With the variobars with risers they work in a similar fashion to the woodcraft ones as in you can position them above the height of the triple tree without lowering the front, but in addition the angle is adjustable up to 16 degrees in 4 degree increments. I'm unhappy with the woodcraft ones because they have little or no angle. The dowbside is the Variobars cost $520 AUS.

Do you know what the standard angle is for sportbikes, say a R1, CBR1000, GSX 000, Ducati 1098 etc..

·
I ♥ Cute Cats!
22,797 Posts
7 degrees is the standard. The Woodcraft ones would be around 7 degrees as that seems to be the most ergonomically correct angle. You might consider re-clocking the angle of the clipons so the are sitting further back. If they're too far forward that can feel awkward. Most people are content with the up/down angle though and it really doesn't take much (especially on the 250) before you start hitting the inner cowling and the bars become a liability.

·
Registered
13 Posts
7 degrees is the standard. The Woodcraft ones would be around 7 degrees as that seems to be the most ergonomically correct angle. You might consider re-clocking the angle of the clipons so the are sitting further back. If they're too far forward that can feel awkward. Most people are content with the up/down angle though and it really doesn't take much (especially on the 250) before you start hitting the inner cowling and the bars become a liability.
Thanks, i think ill wait 5 months and put the money towards my new 600

Are you sure the woodcraft ones are about 7 degrees? The vortex ones look like they have a steeper angle.

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought a hotbodies undertail for my 10 and the quality was pure shit. I had to send it back twice to match the paint and I had to wire tire the light down. Trust me, my experience was not an isolated incident. I met 2 people on the street and a few on other forums who had the same experience

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just to be clear you got these right?
Vortex Clip-On Road Race Bars - Street Bike Parts - Motorcycle Superstore

or

Vortex Clip-On Handlebars - Hand Controls & Levers - Solo Moto Parts
(what fork size do we select for our 250r's)??

I am asking because I plan to order these as well later on this week.

Thank you in advance!

Tofu.
Yeah those are the ones. Ninjas have 37mm diameter forks. The new ones have a 7 degree band not 10 degree bend. I'm not sure if Solo Motor Parts has the old ones in stock or just haven't updated their website.

Edit: I just had a look at my woodcraft ones and they have zero angle, i.e the handle bar is perpendicular to the forks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts