Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the left side no problem. The right side just doesn't seem right.

First thing is I can't break the bolt free. I did loosen the jam nut too. But it still won't budge. But the main thing is that it seems like the replacement bolt is too small. It's the same size different lenght as the left side. But the stock bolt is huge. Am I missing something? I'm afraid to strip out the bolt removing it or messing it up to get it out if the replacement one is the wrong size.

Here is a pic to explain.

/forum/uploads/bhess/dscn0004.jpg

·
Registered
150 Posts
dude, its a false bolt kinda, when you get your allen key in there, and crank it hard to loosen, only the inside of that huge bolt comes out, and the new one will fit in PERFECT! it took me a few mins to figure it out, just need to get some torque on that bolt, dont be afraid to break and allen wrench, they are cheap at the home depot.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've cranked on the allen wrench. But the bolt itself is starting to strip not the allen wrench. So I might have to pull the fairings and use a pair of visegripes to get it. I was afraid I was missing something.

·
Registered
150 Posts
yeah when i did mine, i had to get some big ass channel locks and put them on the allen key, then litterally throw all of my weight on it, to get it to loosen. I was attempting to break the allen key, but they were a craftsman, and pretty damn strong!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly what I was doing except with visegripes. It just wanted to strip out though. I guess the guy with the torquewrench at the factory went overboard on mine. [B)]

·
Registered
512 Posts
how did you loosen that jam nut, I'm trying not to take off of the fairing. is it a special tool, or do you just muscle it with something else

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to reply. I did manage to get the bolt broke free. Finally it popped without stripping the head. whew!

I didn't need to loosen the jam nut but how I did it was with a hammer and punch. Just like a spanner nut really.

·
Registered
512 Posts
thanks, just finished up, while I was out there, I put on my spools as well, didn't take long, as long as I knew what I was doing.

by the way my right side was just as tight as the left, didn't really have to muscle, or did I feel like I was going to break an allen.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I might try some Break Free on these bolts, they will not move for anything...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Some good old fashion muscle will work too. That's all I used! LOL

I used a hammer and screw driver to take off the hex bolt lock thingy and then the thing just came loose with an allen wrench. Don't over tighten when you get them on though cause remember, it's aluminum and can strip, even though it's torqued down like a mo fo.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Anyone have luck with using an impact? I'll be installing a set of Vortex in the next few days and I would like the process to go as easily as possible. I'm thinking about just using my air impact and a hexbit attachment for it.

And Wintermute, I ordered mine from http://www.kneedraggers.com.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Here's what MY bolt did -

Started to strip...

Ended up drilling it, then cutting a slot for a big flat-blade screw-driver to break it free...

All this for a slider, which lost the PUCK on the way home.. :( Damn Vortex...Carry an allen wrench with you; every time you stop for gas, make sure the pucks are tightly secured to the base. :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Originally posted by Sh1n5
Just loctite the thread and you do not have to worry about losing a puck.
They why use Vortex sliders? The whole point behind them is to be able to replace them should they become damaged. I feel adding lock-tite will make what's LEFT of the puck become un-removable. :(

·
Registered
155 Posts
Originally posted by dmp
Originally posted by Sh1n5
Just loctite the thread and you do not have to worry about losing a puck.
They why use Vortex sliders? The whole point behind them is to be able to replace them should they become damaged. I feel adding lock-tite will make what's LEFT of the puck become un-removable. :(
No no.. There are different grades of locktite. If you use the "blue", it just keeps bolts from loosening due to vibrations. It also slightly increases the "break free" torque; makes removing locktite'd bolts a little more difficult than normal. Locktite has green and red versions also. One of them is so strong that I've had to use a torch to remove; I heated the bolt up, dumped water on, and repeated 15 times until the locktite broke free. Tough stuff indeed!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Use a socket wrench and make sure the allen wrench part is all the way into the bolt, give it a light tap to be sure.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
On kneedraggers it says there is no fairing modification required for 98-02 bikes. Where do they fit on 98-02 bikes? Anyone used them on a 98-02?

·
Registered
631 Posts
get you a long pipe or something to get more tourque out of it. Dont break the bold, just get a good size metal pipe to put over the wrench and go slow and it will break loose.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.