Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed vortx frame sliders on my zx6r 03.I got them in aluminum, they were easy to install and no modifications to fairing.I got them from pitposse $67.90 check them out tell me what you think
fishing1231 has attached this file: 100_0979.jpg
fishing1231 has attached this file: 100_0978.jpg
fishing1231 has attached this file: 100_0977.jpg
fishing1231 has attached this file: 100_0980.jpg

·
Registered
268 Posts
shadow0289 has attached this file: bent.jpg
this is what I think happens to the slider at about 10 to 15 mph. And about the width of one lane. It did protect the fairing for the most part. I called Vortex and asked them why the bolt bent and they said it was designed that way so the bolt didn't snap off in the engine mount and then you would have more problems.:( I did order another set though because it did its job.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd like to but unfortunately, I took that slider off to get a new one and like a jackhole, I dropped it at about 50+ and it slid for probably 200 ft straight down the road on the same damn side. Tore the hell out of the plastic. (Let your tires warm before getting on the throttle) Now its replaced with out stickers. I'll grab a photo of the plastic now later. BTW fishing, Are those actual aluminum or are they the silver plastic? they look Nice.

·
Registered
268 Posts
here you go Juan. and anybody else thinking of the Vortex. Or that doubts the ability of the vortex. Remember this is after I removed the slider. Before it was just minor scuffing that I mostly buffed out.

shadow0289 has attached this file: crunch.jpg
shadow0289 has attached this file: front_naked.jpg
shadow0289 has attached this file: naked.jpg

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just purchased the Black Vortex FRame Sliders for my 03 ZX6R.
Does the longer base ogo on the left side or the right?
Also what tool did u use to open up screw hole on engine mount?
I don't want to damage it while attempting to install the sliders.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Shadow,
Looks like u have flush mount V marker lights added to your bike from LP.
Did u have to do any modifications for the light to fit existing hole?
Which end goes at the front of the bike

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Originally posted by shadow0289
this is what I think happens to the slider at about 10 to 15 mph. And about the width of one lane. It did protect the fairing for the most part. I called Vortex and asked them why the bolt bent and they said it was designed that way so the bolt didn't snap off in the engine mount and then you would have more problems.:( I did order another set though because it did its job.
I think that is a crock of shit, the reason it bent is cause they are pussy weak bolts. manufactureres are notorious for providing wimpy hardware. If you go to your local bolt shop they wil probably tell you that the bolt is a piece of crap and give you a new one with a higher grade steel. Thats what happaned when i snapped off the clutch spring bolt, the guy at the bolt shop said it was next to a piece of crap with threading. It will only cost a few cents for a newer and stronger one.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Originally posted by onone
Originally posted by shadow0289
I think that is a crock of shit, the reason it bent is cause they are pussy weak bolts. manufactureres are notorious for providing wimpy hardware. If you go to your local bolt shop they wil probably tell you that the bolt is a piece of crap and give you a new one with a higher grade steel. Thats what happaned when i snapped off the clutch spring bolt, the guy at the bolt shop said it was next to a piece of crap with threading. It will only cost a few cents for a newer and stronger one.
I know what your saying but I had a pair of frame sliders where the bolts broke in the fram and it was a bitch to get them out. I would of loved for them to have been bent. Vortex does advetise that the system they have is made for the slider to break apart the way it did in this situation. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Ya I agree that bending might be better than breaking clean, but I think that if you have a higher grade steel then it won't break or bend(maybe slightly). Even if it does break there are really good tools such as the mastercraft power drill out to remove it, and I've used it before and works great.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Either way it is a pretty thin bolt so you can't expect much.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'd wager if one is going fast enough to bend or break the bolt in a frame slider, there is much more important (costly) damage to worry about. Some people seem to believe the frame sliders is the end-all to safety.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It's also a FRAME slider. It's not supposed to keep your fairings pristine, it's so you don't grind down your frame after your fairing gets ripped off. If you want to protect the fairings better, get a cage.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Originally posted by Apollo
It's also a FRAME slider. It's not supposed to keep your fairings pristine, it's so you don't grind down your frame after your fairing gets ripped off. If you want to protect the fairings better, get a cage.
yup...sounds reasonable.

:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
True. Does anyone have any experience with the frame guards? I know Art offers them, I think they are just a glue on carbon fiber thing, would you trust in them?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.