Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
I don't think anyone wil be selling them seperately since the bases come in pairs from Vortex. Went to their site and found the same info. Is yours broke/bent? If you can get it out (if not out already) you can get a grade 8 type bole that can be found at the local hardware store.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it got bent when I layed the bike down on a corner. It's going to be hard finding a bolt with and allen tip.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Vortex sells them individually, they're like 8 bucks plus 8 bucks shipping or something, so a little steep, but since I couldnt find the right one locally thats the route I went with.

Richie

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
grade 8?? is that what they are? i would think it would be a grade 5. 8 will break as apposed to bending like a 5 would. im curious does anyone know for sure, the metric grade of the STOCK bolts?
8.8 being roughly equivelant to a grade 5 standard.
for anyone curious of strengths...http://home.jtan.com/~joe/KIAT/kiat_2.htm

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by nevada
grade 8?? is that what they are? i would think it would be a grade 5. 8 will break as apposed to bending like a 5 would. im curious does anyone know for sure, the metric grade of the STOCK bolts?
8.8 being roughly equivelant to a grade 5 standard.
for anyone curious of strengths...http://home.jtan.com/~joe/KIAT/kiat_2.htm
Just looked at my bolt and it has 88 on it. I don't know if it's 8.8 or not.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Pittenger5
Vortex sells them individually, they're like 8 bucks plus 8 bucks shipping or something, so a little steep, but since I couldnt find the right one locally thats the route I went with.

Richie
Did you had to call them and order? Damn, $16 for a bolt that should only cost a dollar.

·
Registered
277 Posts
grade five fo sure....good point nevade....theres a much better reason for grades than price.....a grade 5 will take a shock and bend rather than snapping.

oh and im not sure how national these guys are but they have anything fastener related.....www.fastenall.com

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bolts can be really expensive, especially if you go through a middle man or two. I used to buy aircraft grade bolts and them suckers could get really pricey

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by the_gooey_1
grade five fo sure....good point nevade....theres a much better reason for grades than price.....a grade 5 will take a shock and bend rather than snapping.

oh and im not sure how national these guys are but they have anything fastener related.....www.fastenall.com
Yeah, better to pay now and get the right bolt then pay later.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I went to a metric supply house, and they didnt have the exact bolt, something about the distance between the threads or something, so I picked what he had and a nut up for about 2 bucks, but decided to get the proper one from Vortex. And yes, I had to call them, seems like they hear about it quite a bit the guy knew exactly why I was calling.

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
Originally posted by 5thGen
I was able to get the bolt here. But since the thread was different, I had to get a different nut too. Cost is $2 for the bolt and $.5 for the nut.

I don't know what grade it is but it has 12.5 or 12.9 on it.

http://www.tacomascrew.com/locations.htm
i suggest getting a hold of vortex and getting the proper bolt.
a 12.9 is much harder than a grade 8. and would be more prone to breaking. it has a much higher carbon content. in the event of a crash or possibly even just falling over, the grade 5 or metric equiv. would likely only bend. whereas the 12.9 could brake. causing even more damage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

i suggest getting a hold of vortex and getting the proper bolt.
a 12.9 is much harder than a grade 8. and would be more prone to breaking. it has a much higher carbon content. in the event of a crash or possibly even just falling over, the grade 5 or metric equiv. would likely only bend. whereas the 12.9 could brake. causing even more damage.
But isn't a 12.9 a lot stronger than a 8.8?

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
stronger yes, but also more prone to snapping off, vs bending. it has a much higher carbon content. for this type of use "strength" is relative.
do u as you choose, but there is a reason the original was only an 8.8

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
stronger yes, but also more prone to snapping off, vs bending. it has a much higher carbon content. for this type of use "strength" is relative.
do u as you choose, but there is a reason the original was only an 8.8
I got more info. So I guess it's a difference of stretching (or bending) at 80% capacity vs 90% capacity. But a 12.9 bolt is still a lot stronger.

http://www.qldcorvetteclub.com.au/tech/tech_talk/bolts.htm

There are three grades of bolt in common use in Australia. Most bolts which you will come across will only deviate slightly from these three grades. The lowest grade is 4.6, commonly known as commercial grade. Next comes grade 8.8, known as structural grade, and finally, the highest grade is 12.9, known as high tensile bolts. The first number represents the ultimate tensile strength of the bolt, 400 Mpa, 800 Mpa or 1200 Mpa respectively. The second number represents the point at which the bolt will permanently stretch. (Officially, the 0.2% proof load stress). A 4.6 bolt permanently stretches at 60% of its ultimate, an 8.8 at 80% and a 12.9 at 90 %.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.