Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has a Vortex sprocket that the teeth wore out in about 800 miles? I always keep my chain lubed and the right tightness, and this chain looks worse than my stock chain after 800 miles, my stock had 5000 and looks better, I bought a Renthal and I'll see how that works out.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Yes they suck. Well, the ones I've seen do. Guy around here bought one and about 300 miles later most of the teeth were broken off (how does that happen).

Maybe their quality control is lacking.

Their rearsets have been great for me though

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes they suck. Well, the ones I've seen do. Guy around here bought one and about 300 miles later most of the teeth were broken off (how does that happen).

Maybe their quality control is lacking.

Their rearsets have been great for me though
While they have actually improved, I would recommend Renthal before Vortex. But if you needed to buy a Vortex, get the hard anodized; that's the only one that will give you a reasonable lifespan.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm running Renthal front & rear sprockets with the stock chain. No issues what so ever and I got about +20k miles on them.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
im currently runnin jt steel sprockets, there affordable and last alot longer than most aluminum sprockets on the market, before i changed them i was runnin afam and had good luck with them also

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to run Renthal when I was racing Moto and I never had any problems with them, so I figure why not try on my street, plus I rather the way they look

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did a 520 conversion with Vortex (-1 front and +2 in the back) and with about 4,000 miles, I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
It's reasonable to assume this back sprocket wasn't anodized and that's the problem.....although he didn't say. Or maybe I just suck at reading. Both are possible.

Like Patrick said, Renthal/AFAM/Driven will do no one wrong. I thought the only reason people went with Vortex was for the contingency pocket change.

·
Registered
92 Posts
ive been running my vortex sprockets for about 2000 miles now and never had a problem and i drag race the bike

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't believe Vortex even makes steel rear sprockets, I would assume that is more of the problem than the actual company. Do sprockets made by other companies that are aluminum wear out and break like the Vortex ones do? Honestly though I am just asking. I use a stock rear sprocket because my 636 is a daily for me. Steel front 14T though which I haven't had too long.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts