Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05' 636 that is titanium, they couldn't get me a green one and the titanium one had the two bros exhaust already so i took it. I want to paint the bike green and i have a friend who can do it, but i want to make sure that i get paint that won't chip. does anyone know what paint i should you use or how to make sure that it won't chip.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
this might sound crazy, but try fingernail polish.. it will be time consuming though.

:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Any local Sherwin Williams can color match the kawi green and it is not nearly as expensive as the factory paint and they can have it mixed up the same day you order it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you want the classic Kawi, get the factory paint, if a different green, i'd say no, I don't think you need more then a quart of paint(w/thinner) to do a complete bike, tank, fender, body and tail, is he going to use 1 step process or 2, paint and clearcoat? go to a body shop and ask questions on quanity,
Don't rush to ride it as soon as its done, give it an extra time to cure if you can. Look into a product called oddly enough, Chip Guard or Stone Guard, you can get it clear or tinted and have it applied to the lower sides, lower front of the fairing, it's slightly textured, bulletproof when dry, and done right, you will not even know its there, my painter uses a clear on the target area's of my race fairng, holds up well.
Good luck

·
Registered
763 Posts
screw painting it. painting it will never be 100% like the factory paint.

sell off your fairings and you can easily pay for new fairings in green. it will most likely come out pretty even as far as price as long as yours are in good condition.

i just got EVERY fairing for the whole bike (including tank and gas tank cover) for $1300 on ebay which is a great deal. Sell your stuff and buy factory green stuff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
my shop uses PPG and you can have any body shop or paint supplier mix you the color because with ppg it is on the computer database.... as for not chipping your S.O.L..... paint it paint and it WILL chip. unless you do something like the last guy said with chip guard but that shit is hella textured.... use it if you want your bike too look like a grapefruit. check into 3M they make "invisasheild" i think its called.... basically just a clear plastic chip guard your apply like a sticker graffic with soap and water. I've seen it used opn countless vipers, porshes and so on... Or you could just ask the guy your having spray it... if he has any clue what the hell hes doing he should know. But dont let some HACK who thinks he can paint F*ck your bike up.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
I agree with trading your plastics. If you don't want to do that, then I would tend to agree with going the custom color route.

One thing that is very important; make sure that the clearcoat that is used isn't too stiff(hard), otherwise it will start cracking like mine has.

--David

·
Registered
390 Posts
Originally posted by stylin97
screw painting it. painting it will never be 100% like the factory paint.

sell off your fairings and you can easily pay for new fairings in green. it will most likely come out pretty even as far as price as long as yours are in good condition.

i just got EVERY fairing for the whole bike (including tank and gas tank cover) for $1300 on ebay which is a great deal. Sell your stuff and buy factory green stuff.
[:Agree]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the help, just wanted to get all your ideas on painting the bike. I tried to trade the fairings and got no bites, but who knows what the future holds. here is a pic of my bike and yes that is colin edwards in the back. I went to high school with colin and this was taken at a benefit back in march i think.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
So, can I watch that video without joining MySpace?? (I feel dirty typing the word "MySpace".)

--David

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you really want the kawi green go a dupont auto paint supplier and they can perfectly color match it.And its alot cheaper to repaint a bike than get new plastics,the guy who said that doesnt know what hes talking about or hasnt researched it at all.Ive been painting for about 7 years and can tell you thats crap,should cost no more than $500 for a really good job as for it not to chip use a clear coat called spies heckler,its used on formula one cars.its not cheap but its really hard to get through that clear coat,and it looks like glass you wont be disappointed i promise

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.