Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been to 5 track days and approximately 80% of the bikes that went down were on the first two laps, I'm guessing because they didn't warm their tires sufficiently.

Back in June, I was at a track day at CA Speedway with FastTrack Riders Assoc. During the initial riders meeting, I heard the instructor say that tires do not get heated up faster by swerving back and forth, but by increasing and decreasing speeds.

I have never heard this before. I'm more accustomed to warming car tires.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

·
Registered
377 Posts
That is true to an extent. To warm up tires, you need to accelerate hard and brake hard. Idea is to stretch the tire's rubber.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks silversld, the theory makes sense.

Do you do track days? I've been to Willow Springs and CA Speedway, but want to increase the number of days.

Where else do you go?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yes, unlike cars, swerving back and forth on a bike does nothing to warm the tires. I usually accell and brake HARD on warm up laps to get the tires to temp. Also parking the bike in the sun will warm them up quickly

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
Originally posted by Ernie
Also parking the bike in the sun will warm them up quickly
[:+1] For the sun. I've had my tires get hot to the touch just by leaving them in the sun. But this doesn't heat the tire as evenly as a tire warmer (obviously).

Getting heat in the tires actually something that has worried me in the past. I had an instructor following me and told me that I was actually babying the tires a bit too much on the warm up lap and it was preventing the tires from heating up properly. It was recommended to me that I accelerate very aggressively and brake hard into corners. I should also take corners at a moderate aggressive rate. Keep in mind that I'm probably fairly slow compared to somebody like Ernie, so my "moderate aggressive rate" might differ from somebody with a little more experience. ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good info! I was under the impression that the swerving isn't to warm the tires but to get any residue or film of the edges of your tires. Is this true[?]

·
Registered
377 Posts
Originally posted by jpsc636
Good info! I was under the impression that the swerving isn't to warm the tires but to get any residue or film of the edges of your tires. Is this true[?]
That is completely true.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Originally posted by Hook
thanks silversld, the theory makes sense.

Do you do track days? I've been to Willow Springs and CA Speedway, but want to increase the number of days.

Where else do you go?
Haha, I just came from Calspeedway. I pretty much live at Streets of Willow but do days at all the close tracks....buttonwillow, calspeedway, WSIR, SOW, Pheonix, Vegas, Laguna and even did a couple of days at a track in Michigan. I also race with CCS but haven't been able to do many races this year due to time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was smacked on the head by our tire rep for suggesting that there's a film on new tires that needs to be worn off. Apparently that hasn't been the case for several years and is now a myth.

Hook - I have some BT002 takeoffs you can buy if you want to try race tires. There's plenty of meat left just not enough for me to win races with. :p I used takeoffs when I started doing trackdays years ago and its a great way to go and not spend a pile of money.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Originally posted by livethedream
I was smacked on the head by our tire rep for suggesting that there's a film on new tires that needs to be worn off. Apparently that hasn't been the case for several years and is now a myth.

Hook - I have some BT002 takeoffs you can buy if you want to try race tires. There's plenty of meat left just not enough for me to win races with. :p I used takeoffs when I started doing trackdays years ago and its a great way to go and not spend a pile of money.
Oops, I think you're right. I actually was more thinking of scrubbing in the tires or getting any dirt/off more than trying to get the film off.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Silvrsled, I was just at Cal speedway myself on saturday. great day. thanks for the advice on warming up tires.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Don't waste your time swerving unless you are trying to scuff the slick surface of a new tire, and you can do that in one lap anyway. Swerving just does not do much but create a hazard for the guy behind you.

Accel wfo.... Roll the throttle on all the way easily, and brake HARD when you come to a corner. That is what warms the tires up. On a warm up lap I gas it just like a race, only brake a little earlier and brake hard, then I tiptoe through the corner the first lap. If my tires have been in the sun and the track is warm, I go out 75-85 % the first lap.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I always take it easy on the 1st session of the day. Gotta let the track get up to temp as well. And when I use tire warmers, I always still take it pretty easy on the 1st lap.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I'm a statistic on going down in the first couple of laps. I did that on my last track day. Had a low side about halfway through my second lap, in the first session. The bike was handling so well, and I got over confident. Like aznridr said, the track needs to warm up as well...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Everyone here is giving you good info to follow, the only thing I would add is when and if you do get more serious about track riding tire warmers are great for decreasing the amount of heat cycles your tires go through in a day. The fewer heat cycles the longer you can make tires last.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Alot of it may be also due to tire pressures being set incorrectly. Make sure that you have them set for the conditions both cold and hot. 1 psi can make a world of difference.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have A Bad set of Mich Pilot Powers. French quality at its best.We balanced the tires twice, check every possiblity twice and I still have a bad vibration at med. speed 60 -90 and a really bad vib. at 100+ I will never buy Mich again. Mezlr, Pirelli or Bridgestones for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.