Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hardly know anything about bikes, but i know this is wrong!.. i just had a new rear tire put on due to a flat and got it back tuesday. Looked at it today and noticed this....

notice anything wrong?

and just so i know the other side is done right, anything look wrong here? Is that washer supposed to be behind the nut (assume it is, but wanna check)

and yes i know i need to clean my chain :)

im taking it back to them tomorrow to have them fix it.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
hahaha, but i think you should fix it yourself. loosed the axle bolts and slide it the axle out a bit and then you can move the block to its correct position, remember to readjust the chain.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by 2k6r520
hahaha, but i think you should fix it yourself. loosed the axle bolts and slide it the axle out a bit and then you can move the block to its correct position, remember to readjust the chain.
yeah maybe i will.

what does that nut get torqued to?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
94 ft-lb

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It is no biggie, the marks are only for alignment purpose and pose no rideability issue. Do like was said and loosen the axle nut and slide the axle out just a bit and rotate the adjuster.

The other side is right, washer goes behind the nut then comes the adjuster plate.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Damn, Did they have a Chimp work on your bike?
If you decide to fix it yourself, you ought to e-mail that pic to their
Service Manager.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by sneakyws6
It is no biggie, the marks are only for alignment purpose and pose no rideability issue. Do like was said and loosen the axle nut and slide the axle out just a bit and rotate the adjuster.

The other side is right, washer goes behind the nut then comes the adjuster plate.
well uh, it kinda is a biggie if your using the alignment marks to align your wheel... without them you could throw the alignment off and cause some problems.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i would be pissed...i wouldnt do it..if you paid them to do it i would throw a bitch fit...or ask for some money back and do it yourself

·
Registered
14 Posts
align your wheel? Impossible to do with those marks. I would hardly trust some mark to give me exact chain adjustment data from side to side. Out comes the dial caliper. That's just the engineer talking though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Originally posted by stylin97

well uh, it kinda is a biggie if your using the alignment marks to align your wheel... without them you could throw the alignment off and cause some problems.
Not to mention the fact that those plates aren't perfect squares. One side is longer than the other. Put in the wrong way it will slop around. Not good. I'd take it back to show them. Saw nothing went wrong, but whoever did it needs to be a little more attentive.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by KawiGuy73
Hey stylin what shop did this?
westcoast

hey man PM me, you should come out and ride with us one night... normally we try to do it on thurs nights since thats when everyone rides. Still trying to meet people who ride tho.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
woo big deal, its pretty easy to miss when your all excited to finally get it back together.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Like GReen Envy said and other. For one those plates are almost perfectly square or within enough tolerance that it would not matter. I measure from a set point on the rear wheel to a set point on the frame to make sure mine is even.

Other thing is you dont have to even mess with the adjuster in order to pull the rear wheel out in the first place and any mechanic knows this. If you are keeping your chain to spec all you have to do is pull the axle out do the work and then put it back in all without messing with the adjusters. I never touch my adjusters when doing tire swaps unless the chain is in need of adjustment.

Maybe you all should listen to the elder riders on here that seem to know how to work around a bike and not get all bent out of shape over a adjuster plate that is 90* off. Call the manager politely tell him they put it on wrong, fix it yourself and then ride. Pretty simple.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Originally posted by stylin97

damn, another semi local!.. PM me if you ever wanna go ride!!
I actually consider it *local*, as i work @ SWFL Int'l airport and hit the Hooters bike nights occassionally.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Originally posted by wyldemannn
align your wheel? Impossible to do with those marks. I would hardly trust some mark to give me exact chain adjustment data from side to side. Out comes the dial caliper. That's just the engineer talking though.
AMEN Brother!! I say screw those marks and just use them as a rough in point. I always use calipers.. and if you haven't changed a back wheel on your own yet. be patient.. b/c even tightening the nut can change the wheel position and chain tension. I'd just take it back to the dealer and request their good mechanic work on it :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.