Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I've been having this issue the last few times I washed the bike. I just use a regular garden hose, sponge, and bucket. I washed it in the morning, let it set out all day after hand drying it, then when I went to start it that evening, it started up, ran at idle. As I got on it to leave, gave it throttle, it sputtered and died. Now it only cranks and sputters, won't actually start. Any ideas? The last time this happened, it worked itself out, but I'm at a loss this time. I also tried again after it setting overnight, same thing.

I've got a 2007 ZX-6R

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Drain the gas tank and add clean gas. You might have a failed gas cap seal.

·
Pursebully
37,528 Posts
How much water did you get in the air intake? May want to lift the tank and crack the air box.

·
Registered
28 Posts
any type of moisture that can get into your electronics (ecu, etc.) can cause issues. i dont recommend using a hose unless you absolutely have to. even then, make sure that you keep water away from any of the electronics.

i would recommend using honda polish/pledge to clean any plastics the need to be cleaned.

also, you can get some dielectric grease to put onto each electrical connection. that will help to keep any moisture out and your connections solid. over time, water can cause your connections to corrode. not a good thing. trying to diagnose this type of issue is prob. the most difficult since it can work sometimes but not others.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've checked the airbox, no water there. As for the fuel cap, it could potentially be an issue. When it sits in the sun or just gets hot, the fuel cap "sings" very obnoxiously. Does anyone elses do that?

Just as a note, this isn't my first rodeo. This isn't my first bike and I have washed this bike many times in the past and never had a problem. So, before people start thinking noob or anything, just thought id throw that out there...

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,506 Posts
I've checked the airbox, no water there. As for the fuel cap, it could potentially be an issue. When it sits in the sun or just gets hot, the fuel cap "sings" very obnoxiously. Does anyone elses do that?

Just as a note, this isn't my first rodeo. This isn't my first bike and I have washed this bike many times in the past and never had a problem. So, before people start thinking noob or anything, just thought id throw that out there...

It's just venting and yes, it's normal. Shouldn't be the cause of your issue unless your cap is otherwise defective.

Someone on his second or third rodeo should know that. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. Just messin with you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's just venting and yes, it's normal. Shouldn't be the cause of your issue unless your cap is otherwise defective.

Someone on his second or third rodeo should know that. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. Just messin with you.

Haha, I figured. My first bike did the same thing, also a Kawi. I just haven't really heard other bikes (honda, yamaha, suzuki) do it hardly ever. But mine, man she SINGS!

Still no idea what's wrong. I found that my two center clamps on that connect the airbox to the throttle bodies were extremely loose. Tightened them all down, have gotten the bike to start and idle, but EXTREMELY rough. Will run for all times ranging from 5 seconds to 3 minutes, then just starts sputtering and dies.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not yet. I was gonna try to get it to run and use up what little gas was in it. Also so I wouldn't spill as much when I disconnect everything haha :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts