Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on shimming my needles on wednesday or thursday,what kind washers and of what mm size do you think I should go ?

Got a yosh RS-3 ti oval zyclone slipon, pilot screws completely open but after 10,500-11,000 rpm it's really lean plus a but of surge at 5 and at 8. The one at 8 is especially noticable at the track.

will shimming my needles only solve the leanness after 11k rpm ?

got a 2001 ZX6R

WMRC Novice Racer #87

www.bcsportbikes.com/cgi-bin/bike.disp/37

·
Registered
126 Posts
dont know what size washer but shimming the needles should solve the problem if you are running lean up top! there are two ciruits the zx6r's carbs have, the low speed circuit is adjusted by the air bleed screws and high speed adjustment (over 4000rpm) is adjusted by modifying the components that make up the main jet.

off like a prom dress!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Any thing above 8,000 rpm is only affected by the main jet. Between 4,000 and 8,000 it is the needles. Below 4,000 it is the float setting and the fuel screw. If you have a problem above 8,000 you need to fix that first because the main jet selection will affect everything else. To shim the needles you need a #4 washer. This is the washer that fits a #4 screw. Most hardware stores will carry them. I like to use the brass ones because they seem to be more uniform. I would start with a couple. The fuel screws usually work best somewhere close to stock which is 2 turns out. I wouldn't go more than 3 1/2 out.

I would guess that the only problem the shims will cure is the 5,000 rpm one. Are you sure you are lean at high rpm and not rich?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.