Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically it was a 500 dollar oil change because the valves were still in specs. Oh well...I should have listened to the other mechanic who said valves aren't necessary at 7500 miles. Im going to buy a carb balance tool and do the next service myself...
The bike does seem to run smoother though...maybe it was because of the carb adjust and my newly shimmed needles.
[V]

·
Registered
823 Posts

I'm surprised that the dealer charged you that much even though the valve clearances were still in spec. If they are in spec the cams do not have to be pulled to change shims so that should have saved at least 0.5 to 1.0 hrs. labor plus the cost of shims if they do not trade out your shims free for in-stock shims. The valves will definitely need adjustment at the 15k service. If you want to try it yourself check out this link:
http://www.themcdonalds.net/richard/bike/zx6r/maint/valves.shtml

Good Luck!:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like you paid for labor and not much else. Checking the valves does take some time to get to but you could do it yourself the next time. There's plenty of how to's for working on your bike that will save you tons of money.

·
Registered
532 Posts
well, 1024, 7500 service is needed b/c my valves were way out on 2 valves, so you were lucky but i always recomend doing the labor yourself. geesh, you need to check valve clearances, carb sync, all your cables(my clutch was freyed after 8K), coolant and brakes. replace/adjust as nessairy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah guys...next time Im going to do it myself! I will start putting together the parts a few hundred miles till. I need to buy a carb sync tool soon.
At least they were in spec though so no worries for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.