Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Water in my headlights

Ok, so I hosed down the bike (03 636) today after cleaning and tightening my chain. I wanted to go take her for a spin as the end of the season approaches. After drying her all off and lubing the chain, I noticed that there is about a 1/4 cup puddle of water siting in the bottom of the headlight housing. Dammit!

So I didn't ride because I didn't want to turn the bike on for fear of blowing out the bulb when the water vapor touches it. Or blowing a fuse on the bike.

So what should I do to get it out??

All I can think of is opening the housing (can I or should I do this?) or drilling a small hole in the bottom so it can drain out. Good idea? Bad idea? Any other ideas?? I have to ride tomorrow!!

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, and thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Leave it be for a day or 2 if you can. Let the water evaporate on its own. The only other suggestion I have is don't wash the bike with a hose. I never wash my bike with soap and water. Yes they are designed to handle rain and such but not a soaking down with a hose or bucket of water. I use Meguires Quick Detailer for cleaning. Spray on a rag, wipe down and wipe off with a clean rag. Microfiber cloths work best. If its really bad in an area, I use Simple Green on a cloth and follow up with the Quick Detailer. Water doesn't touch my bike unless I ride thru it and I try not to do that too often.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I agree about the hose thing, although you could scrub down the rims and hose them off. Then dry them and the bike, and use a spray cleaner or wax on a cloth baby diaper. Thats how I do it.. As for now if you have to ride tommorrow, take the light housing off the bike, pop the bulbs out and shake the water out of the housing. Dry the bulbs off then put back in. I suggest you eventually take the light apart and look for a crack or somewhere where the water may be entering the housing. Then re-glue it back together. Just make sure you use a good glue like from Wurth, to glue it back. Something that doesnt dry like a glue, but rather like a sealant for door insulation on cars. Good luck man... Oh, you gotta use a heat gun and small screw drivers to get the light housing apart...

the oven thing didnt work for me...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Remove your headlight bulbs and let the water dry out u can ride it like this no probs or u could get a wet dry vacum to get the water out thats how i got the plastic shavings out when i did the euro lights mod...but seriously i have ridden in rain heavier than a quick hose off so it needs to be fixed as now in winter u will get dew and mositure on you lenes...

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
the housing has 2 tabs on top of it, it prolly broke there. mine has twice from wheelying. pop the bulbs out and dry the housing, i used epoxy to seal the cracks around the tabs. let it cure and put it back in. mine never got water in it while riding in the rain, but i washed it one day and had a bunch of water in the lights.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I got all the water out using one of those disposable plastic pipets and reached in through the hole where the bulb goes to suck it out. Then I left the bulbs out and went on a two hour canyon ride at about 55 - 75 mph to dry them out. Man the bike is riding great right now. Thanks for the help, I was trying to make it way too difficult on myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.