Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was looking www.zx6r.fan.ms on chain maintanance and it's written that you could use WD-40 as chain lube.
Is it true?
From my knowledge, WD-40 is like kerosene + "perfume" right?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You were pretty close. WD-40 is stoddard solvent with fragrances and a little light oil. For most practical purposes stoddard solvent is kerosene. WD-40 works well to clean the chain but not to lube it. A cheaper alternative is diesel fuel. You can buy a gallon of diesel fuel for what you pay for a 10 oz can of WD-40.

Clean your chain occassionally but use some sort of chain wax or lube. PJ1 Black chain lube usually test pretty well.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I actually use chainsaw chain oil. It's sticky and a whack of local guys swear by it, including one guy who drag races his late 70s (modified) Kawi pretty seriously.

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Registered
20 Posts
you should never use WD40 as a chain lube.[:0]

WD40 strips the chain lube from your 'o'rings.look what it will do to chain lube on your back wheel.spray some on a rag and wipe your back wheel and all the gunk that's stuck to it will come off,imagine what it's doing to your chain.

i use PJ1 blue chain lube,superb stuff.:D

lasts for ages,a bit can fly off but it's to get rid of.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by little j

you should never use WD40 as a chain lube.[:0]

WD40 strips the chain lube from your 'o'rings.
That is not quite right.

O-ring chains come impregnated with a lifelong supply of lube. The O-rings keep in that factory lube and keep out foreign matter like dirt and moisture, including WD-40.

Besides, some chain manufactures like Tsubaki recommend WD-40 for cleaning and lubing the outside of the chain.

For other lube choices, check out the FAQ What Is the Best Chain Lube?.

·
Registered
170 Posts
At the local shop here I almost gotflogged for saying I was going to clean my chain with wd40, that said it would do something bad to the Oring or something, I am going to use Klotz chaing lube, supposed to be nice

1995 red and purple ninja zx6r
1997 camaro v6 3.8
1987 honda nq50! oh ya!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Aha! So my using a toothbrush to apply chain saw oil isn't so whacked! (It's a REALLY thick and sticky oil)

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000016

"To my surprise, Mr. Longoni claims that heavy gear oil applied with a brush is what many racing teams use, but this is a messy proposition and best only when the chain can be left to drip away the excess overnight."

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Registered
20 Posts
i think you should check out the thread on chain lube remover guys.

wisaacNew MemberUSA4 Posts Posted - 01/26/2003 : 16:28:03
Anyone know of a good product for removing chain lubricant?Quidquidlatine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

thewhitmoresSr. MemberUSA144 Posts Posted - 01/26/2003 : 16:42:06
Plain old kerosene, or even WD40 (same difference).

CdnNinjaZX6RSr. MemberCanada357 Posts Posted - 01/26/2003 : 17:12:38
WD40 works great-=Welcome To Canada=- 2002 Green 6R1986 Gixxer 7/11

eltoritoMemberUSA88 Posts Posted - 01/26/2003 : 17:18:25
I second the motion, WD40 is great. Let Saddam come and play!

iowazx6rSr. Member187 Posts Posted - 01/28/2003 : 16:43:37
and a wire brush.Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

Rob LeeModeratorUSA231 Posts Posted - 02/06/2003 : 15:32:43
To prevent damage to the O-rings, do not take a wire brush to the chain.

dcbobNew MemberUSA22 Posts Posted - 02/06/2003 : 22:50:38
You can also use that orange citrus cleaner (as seen on tv) and it removes the globs of lubricant off of the wheel and body parts.Is this where you wanna be when Jesus comes back?

Dave LeonardNew MemberUSA8 Posts Posted - 02/07/2003 : 14:56:53
I pretty much agree with Thewhitmores, in that kerosene or WD40 both do an effective job of cleaning the chain. I have discovered a problem with this, however. While either does an excellent job of cleaning up the chain they are, nerveless, a very thin oil which tends to diminish the ability of the chain to get a good bond to the chain. It's much like painting something; you don't prepare the surface by spraying on a coat of oil. I still use kerosene but in the form of Gunk. You can buy it at any auto parts store. I prefer a brand called S.C. Gink Concentrate from NAPA Auto Parts. All gunk does is make the kerosene water soluble, so you just brush or spray it on and then wash the bike normally. This way the chain is absolutely clean and the chain wax will stick and stay put. Immediately after applying the chain lube, take a rag and wipe off all the excess as this only pick up more road grime. Don't forget to get all the water off the chain before lubing, as the water will keep out the chain lube, which isn't exactly the idea here. I can literally ride all day an not have one spec of lube on my polished rims. AS you can see below, my bike doesn't need a chain guard as there's nothing to sling. The picture was taken after about a 400 mile weekend ride. I can dust the wheel, but no oil removers are needed.
Edited by - Dave Leonard on 02/07/2003 15:02:59

·
Registered
56 Posts
it was eitehr the july or august issue of MotorCyclist magazine they had a how to on cleaning your chain, they used a chain cleaning brush (I just bought one and I'm gonna do it later today so I'll let you know if I like it), a large aluminum pan and kerosene. dip teh brush in the kerosene (wd-40 works too they said) and brush the chain but don't be too aggressive cause it'll fling stuff everywhere and get messy so take your time and get all the junk off, then let it dry and apply new chain lube.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I forgot exactly how the post went but there was a huge debate about the WD-40 issue,Do a search bout that somebody even wrote and got a response from the WD-40 company already about this topic.As far as chainlube goes I love belray superclean wax it leaves a white residue,And is fades out just around the time I need to relube so its also like a visual remider as well.[:M88]

·
Registered
185 Posts
I bought on of those Grunge brushes and it works like a charm. I opted to use the kerosene as the cleaner and my old looking chain has come back to life. Best $9 I've spent in a long time, except for that chick that could ......oops getting off topic. http://www.pricepoint.com/product1825.html

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've tired them all over the years. I used to swear by chainwax. But the latest I've used and like the best is "white lithium grease" I think that's what the manufacturers put on. You can buy it and any auto store. Comes in a aerosole can. Sticks great and lasts a long time.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I use heavy gear oil, applied with an old tennis sock. The sock wipes excess oil away, so the rim stays reasonably clean. Works for me and the the chain stays clean too...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Use WD40 to clean the chain and then a good quality chain lube that won't fling off easy.

mfzx6r

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a RK O-ring chain and I don't lube it anymore. Occasionally, I'll spray some WD-40 on it to keep the rust off. I used to spray Silkolene chain lube on the chain every weekend but got tired of wiping the "fling" off of all the mechanicals/fairings. So I just stopped using it and have gone with the "dry" method for the past 2 months without incident.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.