Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out riding with a friend last week. On a really slow curve he hit a patch of gravel and went down. He was wearing low cut leather shoes and all but snapped his foot off at the ankle. To make a long story short he was helicoptered out since we were in the middle of nowhere and he will have a full recovery. Wear those boots boys and girls!!!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Where can I get boots that still look normal with my jeans on? And that I can still walk in? I was thinking about the Oakley Assault boot, but it's kind of expensive and I think I could do better with boots that were made for motorcycles. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I was just going to say I saw some pretty cool ones at a local shop but didn't know who made them. Then CDN posts the link. That's them, Thanks CDN!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought Joe Rocket sport touring boots because I didn't want the super hero look. They cover my calves but are kind of soft. After seeing my friends foot snap off I think I can stand the funny looks and carry a pair of shoes in my tank bag or back pack.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Your jeans can go over the boots anyway (unless you're wearing the headbanger 80's jeans LOL), so any race boot in black should do nice.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
NinjaRider, can you get somewhere to try a couple different brands on?

I went up to the kneedraggers.com outlet, and they let me try on different boots. I wore, Oxtar TCS Evos, Alpinestar SMX Plus, SMX, GPS (I think), and the Sidi Verts, I personally thought the Oxtar TCS Evos and the regular SMX looked really good with jeans. The GPS boots were a little too flimsy.

I found a pair of SMX Goretex boots on Ebay and I ordered them. $132.50 to my door, however they haven't arrived yet. I'll post up some pics once I get them, (if I remember :)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
What size do you need? I have 2 pairs right now but only need one... I'm likely going to sell my Dainese boots, which are a street boot, not a track/race boot. Still have goot protection etc. Black in color... I keep meaning to ebay them but always forget. If you're interested let me know. Excellent shape.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Can't you jsut use regular steel toe boots? I think they go for $50 at Sears

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Originally posted by Grunt_99

What size do you need? I have 2 pairs right now but only need one... I'm likely going to sell my Dainese boots, which are a street boot, not a track/race boot. Still have goot protection etc. Black in color... I keep meaning to ebay them but always forget. If you're interested let me know. Excellent shape.
Do you have some pics/specs on them? I'd like to see what they look like. What size are they?

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I just went to JCPenny yesterday and bought some steel toe boots on sale for $29!
I couldn't beleive how cheap they were. Super comfortable and wraps my entire ankle.
I recomend them to everyone.
I forgot the brand but I think they only carry 2 different brands in JCP.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
NO ONE should wear steel toed boots! I have heard horror stories of the steel toe cutting off your toes in an accident. They were made for shovels hitting them and protection in a labor environment, not for high speed motorcycle accident protection!

$29 boots + $1000 in medical bills and months in a cast, no savings there...

just my $.02

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
i dont like wearing my racing boots. Its harder for me to get my foot under the shifter. Also it feels really weird riding stand ups. i am getting alot of miles under my belt and i feel the crash is going to come sometime next season so i better start wearing my leathers which i always where my jacket gloves and helmet just i dont always put the pants and boots on.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Originally posted by DEZixxer

NO ONE should wear steel toed boots! I have heard horror stories of the steel toe cutting off your toes in an accident. They were made for shovels hitting them and protection in a labor environment, not for high speed motorcycle accident protection!

$29 boots + $1000 in medical bills and months in a cast, no savings there...

just my $.02
Really? Damn. I never heard that but thanks. I thought those steel toe shoes were indestructible

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Originally posted by NinjaRider

Originally posted by Grunt_99

Do you have some pics/specs on them? I'd like to see what they look like. What size are they?
They are Dainese SK5's..PM me your email address and I'll send you a pic since I can't upload one with the site restrictions in place.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"NO ONE should wear steel toed boots! I have heard horror stories of the steel toe cutting off your toes in an accident. They were made for shovels hitting them and protection in a labor environment, not for high speed motorcycle accident protection!"

I heard this before and also heard that it was just an urban legend because the original "Steel toed" boots invented during the war were built to severe the toes, because apparently it's easier to sow toes back on then it is to rebuilt totally crushed toes.

I have been wearing plain 40$ steel toe technicians boots for years now and have crashed a cuople times and the boots did their job nicely. And I also took a heavy hammer to the steel toed area trying to smash it and it would not smash, so if I am ever in an accident that puts enough pressure on my toes to crush the steel plate and sever my toes, then my toes would be crushed beyond use anyway...

and am I saying steel toes technicians boots are better then true riding boots? heck no, but if your strapped for money, these boots are way better than sneakers or hiking boots that so many people wear...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.