Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after purchasing a bottle of motul oil, a new oil filter, and new set of front and rear brake pads, i was ready to spend an hour on my baby over the weekend changing the above.. not a hard job one would imagine, ive done it before on my little cbr 250. no huge drama..

how wrong was i. friday night i spent an hour trying to get the left fairing off, only to find the moron who owned the bike last or the mechanics who have worked on it done up the allen bolts too damn tight and i had to get one drilled out.. and i lost a rubber grommet from one of the screws, so after alot of frustration and despair i gave up and went to kawasaki saturday morning. all sorted. new bolt and grommet.
sunday morning, off with the fairing.. no hassles.. sweet.. dumped the oil. sweet. so far so good.. the oil filter.. so much for hand tightened.. with no oil filter wrench, and 15 minutes of trying to get it off by hand.. no luck.. so no oil filter swap.. ok.. move on to brakes..

found that no allen keys i had would fit the rear or front brakes.. so it looks like i need to go shopping..

which is where u guys could help me..

what are the allen key sizes that i need? i do have an imperial (in inches) set, but that didnt help, so i probably need metric.. but anything that fits properly will do me fine..

what size allen keys/drivers do i need? i was thinking of buying a set with the T handles to make my life easier..

any suggestions/tips/help most appreciated :)

who says im not kind? just not your kind

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
The allen tools you need are metric.
A good choice to get the T-handle ones....forget the little hand held piece of crap that has the whole set....T-handles are nice:).
While you are shopping....I do recommend a good phillips tip screw driver(# 2,I think). Nothing more discouraging than rounding a screw tip when a good driver would have prevented it.

Hope that helps

Jason

Everyone has their own thing.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
I agree with all of the above. Metric allen wrenches withthe Ball end are nice too. While your out though, stop at a pep boyz or auto shop and get an ADJUSTABLE oil filter socket (less than 10 dollars). My filter was stuck on like a weld, this adjustable socket fit over the oil filter and literally DUG into the sides of the filter the more I turned. Got the damn thing off NO SLIPPING AT ALL. Very good product for those dealer installed filters.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I use an oil filter cap I got from Auto Zone and a long ext and my wrench witht he swivel head and off she comes. I do not need to remove the fairing to do this at all.

Green/Black 01ZX6r. LP LP flushmount v's, tank guard. Removed decals, 2002 rear fairing, Pyramid hugger

96 SVT Cobra Black/Tan Vert 32V. Not stock!

93 Blue Probe GT 24V Commuter car.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have an 02 6R and I'm going to be changing the oil/filter in it very soon...

Is it nessesary to take the faring off to get to the oil filter? I'd like to not have to, but if its better to take it off, I'll manage.

Ahh suck!

·
Registered
778 Posts
quote:
I have an 02 6R and I'm going to be changing the oil/filter in it very soon...

Is it nessesary to take the faring off to get to the oil filter? I'd like to not have to, but if its better to take it off, I'll manage.

Ahh suck!
Its better to take it off, if you don't you'll get oil all over the inside of the fairing if you don't have the right tools to catch the oil.. take a look where the filter is and you'll see what I mean

·
Registered
280 Posts
With the cap, you can do this without removing the fairing easily. I use a couple of newspapers inside the bottom fairing to divert the oil into the catch pan.(that is already catching the main part of the oil under the oil pan) The whole job takes me 5-10 mins but I let the oil drain for a half hour before filling her back up again.

Green/Black 01ZX6r. LP LP flushmount v's, tank guard. Removed decals, 2002 rear fairing, Pyramid hugger

96 SVT Cobra Black/Tan Vert 32V. Not stock!

93 Blue Probe GT 24V Commuter car.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't mind taking it off, but this is the first bike I've had with a faring on it....I've heard they are not exactly easy to put back on.

02 ZX6R (Yellow)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
6(?) screws and your done. Simple as can be and it's no problem getting it back on.

-gary
'02 6R

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you don't want to mess with oil filter wrench use K&N filters. They have a one inch nut molded into the can.

For seriously stuck filters, drive a large and strong screw driver though the filter with a hammer then use the screw driver as a handle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.