Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the bike world and am realizing that on a bike every pound counts (especially on a 250). I'm wondering what are some ways that I can reduce the weight of an 08 250. I plan on getting an area P exhaust for the weight savings and the sound. I saw in a different post about taking off the rear brake but I wont be doing that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
unless you weight 375lbs then you shouldnt have too much trouble, if your really concerned about weight because of speed maybe you should look at a bike with a higher cc.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
definetely not looking at a higher cc bike, I'm just looking to make the most out of this bike. I'm more interested in doing things that will increase the bike's efficiency and MPG as this is the main reason I bought the bike. I figure if I could drop a few pounds off the bike without compromising safety than I would like to do it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
bicycle

definetely not looking at a higher cc bike, I'm just looking to make the most out of this bike. I'm more interested in doing things that will increase the bike's efficiency and MPG as this is the main reason I bought the bike. I figure if I could drop a few pounds off the bike without compromising safety than I would like to do it.
No Joke .Start riding a bicycles. You will loose weight get stronger learn about drafting and steering. 10 pounds off your body is worth a couple hp coming out of a turn.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I read a post on here about replacing the battery with a smaller type to save some weight. You could search that up.

If you are looking to "to increase the bike efficiency and MPG" then you could consider regearing for lower rpms.

The bike already gets over 50 MPG in the worst examples...not sure how you are going to beat on that with a couple of pounds off the bike...In most cases, like others have posted, the rider is the one carrying "optional" weight.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
I weigh 115 LBS. If I loose anymore weight it might throw me off :p

I heard of people taking off the rear brake because the front is enough.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Adam-

You are on the right track. weight reduction is the fastest, easiest way to increase yur bike's performance, both it's acceleration ad braking, and also its suspension's ability to do it's job.

First and most obvious advice: ignore the dummies on this board who'll question why you want to do this or that. Like the previous post^. they contribute nothing to the discussion except to make themselves look ignorant.

As for weight reduction, yes, you are correct; the less power a bike has the more important weight reduction becomes and the more noticable the gains. Your 250 is perfect for a weight reduction program.

first, replace the stock header and pipe with an AP full system. Saves alot of weight and really increases the bikes hi-end performance. This is a must.

Second, reduce your rotating mass. Standard theory is that 1 lb of rotating mass = 7 lbs regular weight. best place to start is an aluminum rear sprocket (while you are at it change your gearing to 15/43, so you'll need a 15t front too). Next, if you are ambititous, take your rear rotor to a machine shop and have then drill it out as much as possible. there's easily 3/4 lb of weight to be lost there. With the alum sprocket and drilled rotor you'll notice better acceleration and braking and better turn in and rear suspension compliance.

Third, believe it or not, your tire choice. tire weight is the least appreciated aspect of weight reduction, yet it can be the most critical. It's rotating mass, and it's mass in the most critical area - rim weight - where it's effect is most pronounced. For example, a 120/70/17 bt-014 front tire weighs 3.8 kgs, while the Dunlop 208 front weighs 4.8 kgs. That means that the bt014 is 2.2 lbs lighter than the same size dunlop. Thats 2.2 lbs, at the farthest pint frm the axle, and thus the most pronounced, that the engine has to accelerate from a dead stop, the brakes must stop, and the suspension must keep firmly planted on the pavement. People spend $3500 on carbon fiber wheels to get similar weight savings in rim weight. You can do it for nothing by choosing the right tires.

My 250 came with the Dunlop GT501s. good, sticky tires, but heavy. As soon as i burn them off i'm going to either te bridgestone bt45s or the bt90s. Much lighter tires.

Reactions: bikerchick

·
Registered
188 Posts
You would be a tard to take off the rear brake. I use my rear brake more then the front. I would rather lock the rear then the front.

·
Registered
90 Posts
never really thought about their being such a difference in tire weight. when switched to a 15/43 gear setup how much does that change the gearing? that combo would make it have a higher top speed with less acceleration correct? how much of a difference though?

·
Registered
352 Posts
You would be a tard to take off the rear brake. I use my rear brake more then the front. I would rather lock the rear then the front.
:eek: Okay you're the first person I've ever heard say you'd rather lock the rear than the front. From what I've read, locking the rear brake causes fishtailing and eventually a highside. Anyone considering Jason's advice should look for a second opinion first.

There has even been some discussion regarding removing the rear brake (I can't remember which thread, but it was just a few days ago). Someone proposed removing the rear brake to reduce weight, and there were some who were adamant that it was a stupid idea, and some who agreed that it was okay. (Personally I would err on the side of safety and keep it on, but that's just me...)

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
i fell so loved in this thread lmao

there was a guy here once that talked of drilling the bolts out to reduce weight. he got laughed at but it's an idea

·
Registered
111 Posts
yeah dude, weight savings are pretty good mods on this bike, the exhaust weight savings are noticeable... and i always roll with almost no gas, i say its for weight savings but really its just the fact that its $4.00 a gallon. lol, jk..

·
Registered
217 Posts
I use my rear brake more then the front.
That's my definition of a squid. A guy who uses his rear brake more than his front....and is so clueless he's actually proud of the fact.:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Think of it this way. It is 250! It isn't a race bike, just a chill ride. When the mods cost more the the bike is worth, why even bother? Cause it is still going to be slower then any other bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
remove the toolkit, thats a pound or two

oh and take a big sh** before you ride. thats another 2 lbs :D

i honestly dont think it would make a noticable difference unless you made drastic mods. yes a couple pounds here and there may increase mpg and maybe hp, i highly doubt you would actually feel it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
To those saying you will highside if you loose the rear brake... I agree its better to lock the rear...

If you are calm enough to just clamp down on the rear brake and then slow using the front then you will come out of it just fine (unless you are going into a corner)...

One guy on here the other day talked about how when the locked the front within 1/4 of a second he was down...

You can ride with the rear locked, ever done it on a bicycle? Its not a fun feeling at speed but if you keep it locked and keep it straight you should be just fine...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts