Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last weekend I tried to switch pver to GP shift - thought I had to get the spindle exactly 180 degrees from stock. Tried to move the gear shifter spine coming out of the tranny to have a better chance of getting the screw back in place. The gears kinda got stuck between first and second, so I decided to move the bike to the middle of the garage and put it on the rear stand - as I was moving the bike, with the gears still not in neutral, I heard what I thought it was the tranny ticking between gears - the ticking was present even with the clutch pulled in. Decided to just get the bike into neutral and back into stock gear pattern.

So today I decide to go for a short ride, less than 30 miles, and when I get home and pull into the garage, I turn off the bike before turning the bike around to get it into the proper area of the garage - as I am moving the bike around, I notice a ticking sound coming from the lower rear section. I put the bike up on a stand and started to spin the rear wheel and got the tick to sound as I rotated the rear wheel in either direction. I looked to see if anything was rubbing against the chain, bit did not see anything. I could kinda feel the ticking with the hand that was spinning the rear tire. The click sounded about every three inches the chained moved.

Questions:

Did I mess up the tranny by moving the bike with the gears not fully engaged or in neutral?

I did lube the chain last week, but could the chain make ticking noises if it is worn out? The stack seems correct when measured.

Any suggestions on what I should check out to prevent damage?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Does it sound like it's coming from the chain or from the tranny?

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Chain may be too tight. Slack needs to be 1 to 1.5 inches with the bike sitting on a rear stand without a body on it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The chain slack seems to be set correctly - tested it in several spots; but could still be a possibility.

The sound definately sounds like it is coming from the rear sprocket, chain, or hub area - I use a mechanic stephoscope and could not hear anything internal making any sounds - which was a relief.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Are you sure the rear wheel is square in the swingarm? If it's not evenly adjusted it'll side load the chain which makes a loud clicking ticking noise as each individual link comes off the sprocket.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mystery solved - Good call Sev - it was the rear tire not being square in the swingarm. The way I was looking at the right side indicators on the swingarm made it appear that they were even - as soon as I sat down right in front of the right side to take some exact measurements, it was obvious that the right side was off a couple of mm. Made the adjustment to make everything square and the noise went away.

Thanks for the help - I can finally fall asleep again without wondering about the noise.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Wouldnt you feel that while riding if the tire wasnt centered correctly?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts