Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. my tire pressure is fine and my forks have the kawi electronic suspension control. i keep it on moderate setting, seems to be best for my riding.

tonight on the highway i noticed she felt very unstable as though the front tire was riding an oil slick. not that i had no traction but my bike seemed way more influenced by its own turbulence. no tank slapper or wobble. just odd.

then riding through my neighborhood i noticed that if i was going any faster than 5 mph and leaned ever so slightly, my front end would sharply respond to that direction. is my front geometry somehow off? how can i figure it out?

92 ninja 600r

·
Registered
647 Posts
I hate to say it, but STEALERSHIP. Unless someone else here can shed some light on this. Because it seems like you've covered all the usual check points on your own.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Im willing to bet something is out of line, if its happening when riding slow its not your suspension settings or tyre pressure....... also whats with crying out stealership dude?

Theres a few checks you can do:

Find the straightest and flatest bit of road possible, preferably with a slight slope downwards, drive down it and try riding with the handlebars staight with respect to the bike, arms stretched out and body as straight as possible, make sure youre straight with respect to the bike....if nothing happens try letting go of the handlebars ( keep your hands near the handlebar dont sit back and relax :p ) if in either test it veers off to the side theres a chance your front wheels badly alligned....

Second get yourself 4 bricks and two long (AND STRAIGHT!) planks/rods/bars of wood/meal .... find a freind who can keep the bike straight up prefrably by the rear....or attach the bike to somethen.....very important that the bike is straight....then keep the handlebars straight with respect to the bike, for example by measuring from the end of each bar-end to something that is certain to be in the middle of the bike (centre of the fuel cap?)....
Then take the two straight edges in the form of planks or rods and push them against teh rear wheel so that the other ends of the bars or rods run alongside the front rear...prop the rods or planks up with the 4 bricks or blocks of wood as high as possible without touching anything other than the wheels....the two planks or rods basically now project a pair of parralel lines that you can use to check your wheel allignment.....

IF:

The front wheel is not parralel with the two straight lines....your front is out of allignement....

The front wheel is almost parralel but its obvious that there is one straight line which is closer to the front wheel more than the other then its your rear that is out of allignment...

If the two lines are perfectly parralel with the wheel and exactly in between the two wheel alligment is correct....

Give it a try, your symptons are typical of out of line wheels....

·
Registered
647 Posts
Tenquo, all I got to say is "damn, son".

The reason why I was crying out stealership is simply because nobody else was helping this guy out. I had no idea how else to help him, since him and I covered pretty much all we knew to figure out the problem.

But judging by your post, your were born with a freakin' tire iron in your hands. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.