Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was riding around today because it was decent out. after about five minutes, every once in a while it would start jerking pretty bad. not like a flat spot. but an actual jerking. if i gave it more gas or let off the gas, then it would stop. but it did it in basically all gears. i believe somewhere between 4-6k rpms.

mods: only a slip on so far.

the only thing i could think of is either the carb is a bit gunked i need a new air filter.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah. i forgot to mention. it did die on me when i was stopped at a light, but started right back up.
it was about 40 degrees out

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Possibly gummed up carbs maybe. How long has you bike been stored? Did you put fuel stablizer in the gas?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, it went into storage novemberish. BUT on occasion, ive taken it out to ride. since november, i put gas in once. which was maybe in january? cant quite remember. no stabilizer

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Originally posted by rtpassini
well, it went into storage novemberish. BUT on occasion, ive taken it out to ride. since november, i put gas in once. which was maybe in january? cant quite remember. no stabilizer
I have had my 2006 ZZR600 stored since November 18, 2005 with a full tank of gas with fuel stablizer added. Last Monday Feb.27th was the first time I have started my bike since November. It started right up with no problems. Sounds like you may hae a fuel delivery problem. That could possibly explain the jerking.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it started no problem and everything. also, it would rev up no problem at all. even right after the jerking, i would put pull in the clutch and rev it. no problems at all....

when i take it out next, we'll see if it happens again. maybe something is up with the chain. but i dont know why it would die then.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The chain has nothing to do with the engine dieing on you. You either have a mechanical or fuel/carb problem. Anyone else have any input on this??

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had a simialr problem recently, my ride was very jerky, was hard to maintain a constant speed and the bike would surge forward and then pull back....

My mechanic fixed it, and don't exactly know what the prob was, but i did catch that is was definitely a fuel delivery glitch, poorly jetted carbs might also exacerbate the problem

.. heh that didn't really help you much though

·
Registered
187 Posts
Check the fuel filter. Always start with the simple stuff first. Could be starving for fuel with a partially plugged filter, bike dies then the flow stops and the filter unplugs long enough to start again. Could also be a weak fuel pump. Or possible combination of the two. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i took it out today (a little bit warmer out)

didnt have any problems....

i dont know whats going on. my car was acting up the other day too, and i drove it the next day and no problems....
oh well. haha

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think its just because of the cold air....thats the only explanation i could think of.

it was in the thirty's today and i took it out. it did it a few times.

·
Registered
33 Posts
it could of been carb iceing, but i dont know how cold it has to be before that happens. i think what happens is as the cold air comes in hitting the warm areas of the carbs it condenses causing moisture/and then freezes again. so sometimes you get moisture in to the combustion chamber and we all know that water/moisture is not combustable. I think thats what it is somone correct me if I'm wrong, I would like to know for sure myself.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In the wrong ratio to fuel/air water can cause problems, but set up right you can make a killer water injection system that helps the engine make more power. Some two stroke street racers even use it to help boost midrange power(Sport Rider,April '06,bottom of page 70).
I had an automotive teacher years ago that put water injection on all his cars & hot rods. He was kinda weird

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sounds like the same thing that happened to me. The problem was the connections to the battery were loose under the seat. Took the seat off and tightened them up and no problem since

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by JBab
Sounds like the same thing that happened to me. The problem was the connections to the battery were loose under the seat. Took the seat off and tightened them up and no problem since
thats actually odd that you had problems...the battery only starts the bike.

you can start the bike and then take the battery out and it will still run no problem.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The battery is the sole power for the electrical system. You can remove batteries from almost any vehicle and it may still run, but it's not advisable. Remember, bikes/autos are not perpetual motion machines. You can cause serious damage to the charging system, the onboard computers or other components. Old timers used to do it all the time back in the day, but ask any competent auto/cycle technician nowadays and they'll tell you you're in for a world of hurt if you do that for prolonged periods. Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

·
Registered
87 Posts
obviously i am not there to tell but it sounds exactly like carb icing..... kwaks are bad for it.

as you said it was 40 and did it in the 30's could have a bit of moisture in tha air and gas soaked some up too.... if you can get some add silkolene pro fst its what we use in the uk and works a treat
i put stabilizer in my tank before storage (not profst as i had some other stuff) so I expect my fuel is ok and it did it to me in the garage on the monthly start-up
youll know for sure once you get a new tank of gas in and have a warm day--

·
Registered
7 Posts
Two things you should NEVER do to a motorcyle charging system (and really is not advisible on a car either).

1)remove battery while engine is running. This is because you don't have an alternator, you have a magneto. The alternator controls the output by varying the electric field in the stator. A magneto outputs a power propotional to the RPM, and any extra power is shorted through a chopper and resistor to ground. Without the battery, the chopper and resistor (voltage regulator) has to shed a bunch more power, and this power is dissipated in the form of heat. To much heat and the unit is shot.

2)jump start the bike with the engine running on the jump vehicle. Same idea as above, it's to much power for most bikes voltage regulator to dissipate.

Fedds (MSEE:D)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.