Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 Zx6r the other night. Only things added is a muzzy slip on and the carb is shimmed .02 wider than stock.

What exactly does the carb being shimmed do? The guy I bought it from said that it adds to your exeleration at higher rpm's but kills your lower rpm's. Is this true?

The problem I am having is that from a start, the bike will occasionally bog down. When it bogs, it doesn't matter how much throttle you give it, it will continue to bog. You have to hold the throttle steady and grab the clutch and release, other wise it will continue to bog and die. If you give it a lot of throttle at the start and feather the clutch it won't bog. Is the carb shimm causing this? How can I fix it?

Also, the bike will has died a few times for no apparent reason. Like last night, i was riding in 3rd at 6k rpms when the rpm's started to bounce around. I downshifted and was coming to a stop, when I grabbed the clutch and the bike died. It wouldn't start back up afterwards. I pushed it to a slight decline and dropped the clutch, it started back up, but then slowly dropped from 1k rpm until it died. I jumped it again, and it started dropping from 1k rpm again, I grabbed the clutch and that killed it. So even though I was at 3/4 tank, I switched to reserve and jumped it again. It started up and ran without a problem the rest of the night.

What could be causing this?? I am going to have the shop look at it and install a jet kit next week when I get out of the field. Just cuious if you all have any ideas.

Thx,
Mike

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
As usual the guy doesn't know quite what he is talking about.

Shimming the needles involves putting a tiny washer under the needle seat to raise it a little. Shimming the needles makes it richer in the 4,000-8,000 rpm range, so it doesn't affect perfomance much below 4,000 rpm or above 8,000 rpm. Generally ZX-6R benefit from shimming the needles because they are deliver running lean in the mid-range to meet EPA requirements.

I doubt this is your problem. Most bikes will bog if given full throttle at relatively low rpm when cold. Is the bike fully warmed up when it does this?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not sure if this is the cause but there are some extremely small o-rings that fall out and need to be replaced when the vacuum covers are removed to shim the needles. Possiblly 1 if not all of them are missing, thus 'causing your problem. I just shimmed my needles last weekend and have no problems what so ever, and I have a Yoshi slip-on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.